Chapter 4

Chapter 4- Lucy

Someone upstairs was screaming, a baby was crying and mum was passed out on the sofa, snoring unattractively in front of one of her silly soap operas.

Typical day in the McKay household.

Lucy grabbed a packet of Digestives from the kitchen cupboard, before offering one to the baby, little Charli. Charli effectively crushed it in between two chubby toddler hands, still wailing her head off. Oh well.

"You going to Sykes' party?" Amy appeared at the doorway, chewing something.

"Yeah," Lucy nodded, picking up an overnight bag she had packed earlier. "Are you?"

"Hell no," Amy looked repulsed. "Loser like that is gonna throw a super lame party. And it's only four o'clock- school just finished. Why doesn't he throw it later? And are you really going in school uniform?"

"I'm changing at Oli's," Lucy shrugged. "And the party starts at 8. I'm helping set it up."

"Oh."

"If I nicked some of mum's alcohol, would you snitch on me?" Lucy quizzed her older half-sister, scrutinising her carefully.

"Yes."

"Cool," Lucy grinned, jamming a bottle of Jack Daniels into her bag. "See you tomorrow!"

"Wait!" Claire burst into the kitchen. "Lucy- take these."

And so ten minutes later, Lucy left the house equipped with clothes, alcohol and, of course, Claire's condoms. She honestly didn't really expect much to happen- the party was at Oli's place, but as Claire had said: better safe than sorry.

She found Oli and Tom lurking outside Tesco's on the way to the Sykes household, still in uniform with their school bags chucked to the pavement. Oli's eyes lit up upon seeing her and quickly waved her over.

"I thought you were going straight home," Lucy frowned. "I said I'd meet you there- remember?"

"Mat had a better idea," Oli's eyes danced with mischief, the corner of his mouth quirking upwards.

Lucy felt a familiar sense of doom settle over her as she realised what Mat was doing. At least the Sykes weren't getting caught up in his thieving ways.

"I'm not a part of this," Lucy announced, "If you all get arrested, I was not involved. I'm gonna go find your mum now. Tom- come with me? It's weird otherwise."

"Don't wanna wait for Mat and Lee?" Oli grinned. "I thought we were all friends now after that horrible first week back..."

"Lee's involved in this? Fuck, I'm out. See you at your house if you all make it back alive."

"Go with her," Oli jerked his head in command to his younger brother, "That strange perv is hanging out in the park again."

Lucy scowled. The same dickhead who'd been spying on her on Monday when she was on the phone with Oli had started to make it a habit to hang out in the playground in between school and the rest of the town. He hadn't done anything yet, but everyone at school had been gossiping throughout the week.

"Why do I have to go?" Tom complained. "You can't boss me around like that."

"I'll do whatever the fuck I want," Oli sneered. "I'm older than you, and mum put me in charge. You're my responsibility."

"So you should be protecting me instead of sending me off to fight nonces in the park!"

"What- you saying that Lucy should have to deal with them on her own?"