0|8

8.

"You're doing it again," Lucy informed me as she hopped into the passenger seat of my car. She lowered her phone from her ear and turned to me with a stern expression. "You're being over dramatic."

I scoffed. I was not being dramatic, and Lucy should have known that since I called her the second I made it my car. I was so annoyed that I couldn't wait for the twenty-minute car ride to rant.

Lucy sighed. Her expression softened as if seeing my face in person, seeing how ticked off I really was, had made her realize that I was no being a drama queen. "At least he is easy on the eyes, right?"

Lucy knew that I couldn't deny he was attractive. It was cruel of her to even bring it up with what he had just caused. It was his fault that we were in this mess.

"I'm not overreacting about this," I insisted. Since I couldn't respond to her comment without lying, I had elected to ignore it. "Every conversation that I have had with him had ended in an argument."

Lucy giggled. "Okay. But what if it's all some big act? What if his oversized ego is just a cover up and he's really a totally softy." Lucy gasped; her hands grabbed onto my right arm. "Oh my gosh, what if he is a closeted figure skating fan?"

I snorted. Now that would have been an unexpected twist.

"That's not likely." I pulled out of Lucy's driveway and onto the road. "I can promise you that Aiden is not a softy underneath his ego. It's just more ego underneath all that ego."

She shrugged. "You don't know that, Zo. You only have seen him at the rink."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, and Aiden is the prime example of why I hate hockey."

Even though my eyes were focused on the road, I could tell Lucy was frowning. "Please tell me that this has nothing to do with those guys from the day of your first figure skating. Because Zoe, I swear if it does, I will smack you. You were seven."

"It's not petty," I mumbled, coming in quick to my own defense. Lucy may have thought I was childish to hold a grudge for ten years of my life, but I swear it was not petty. And it went farther than a grudge.

Those boys were young and dumb, I knew that as the mature seventeen-year-old that I was now. But those boys had crushed the spirits of a seven-year-old girl without even so much as a slither of guilt. No little girl wanted to hear about stupid of a sport they thought figure skating was. Especially after she had just had the best time of her life at her first lesson.

I was crushed. Their comments stuck with me.

You know figure skating isn't a real sport,right?

I've seen babies with better balance than you.

They had told me that I would never amount to anything in the skating world, so why should I have even bothered to try.

"Zoe," Lucy said calmly. I turned my head to her. She pinched the bridge of her nose like I had given her a headache. "You need to take a lesson from Elsa and just Let. It. Go."

It wasn't just the kids from ten years ago. Every hockey player that I had ever met since then all seemed to live up to the same expectation. They were all arrogant, and rude, and just down right jerks.

"It was ten years ago. You were all kids."

I turned right onto my road. "Yeah, your point? Hockey players are all the same arrogant a-holes."