Searching

Hiccup was itching with anxiety the entire flight. Some of the other Riders had opted to sleep on the way to the strait but Hiccup's nerves were way too shot to sleep. He desperately hoped that any evidence of what had happened to Astrid hadn't been washed away or destroyed. There had to be clues there, there just had to be!

Through some trial and error pep talks, Hiccup - with the help of Toothless - had gotten Stormfly to join them. She was at the back of the group now, her head hanging low as she flew in a quiet submission.

Stoick had called for a break about an hour ago, letting everyone get a bit of real shut-eye, and to stop and eat a bit. Then he had said that they were about two hours away from the section Stormfly had stopped at, leaving an hour of flying now.

And, an hour to think.

Hiccup laid back on Toothless and closed his eyes, hoping to doze the last hour away, but every time he did so, the same scenario would flash through his conscience.

The day Astrid had volunteered to go. Hiccup had considered talking her out of it but had decided not to.

Oh, Hiccup thought. If only I had stuck with my gut on this one! If I had stepped in, Astrid wouldn't be in this predicament. She would still be safe on the Edge, and I could've left in peace if I had just stopped her!

So many if's.

Hiccup tried to slow his thoughts. But no, they kept coming with a vengeance, as if Astrid's soul was still in this sector, chastising him and throwing her frustration at him for not doing something sooner, for not noticing sooner.

How could I have missed the signs? Hiccup questioned himself. Everything that had happened since Astrid was supposed to have returned, hinted at the fact that something might've been wrong.

For starters, she hadn't been back when she was supposed to have been. Then, the A Team having been spotted on the horizon. Stormfly not being with Astrid, everything connected.

Hiccup was already kicking himself for letting this situation happen in the first place, and if anything, he did it harder for missing the very obvious signs.

A soft snoring made Hiccup open his eyes. To his left, Hookfang and Snotlout flew. The sound was coming from Snotlout, getting louder as it progressed.

Seeing the other Riders all around him, Hiccup was grateful that everyone had agreed to help. Every member was important to the group, and Astrid to Hiccup, was even more than that. He would've searched for her alone if it had come to it.

A vacuum sound made Hiccup sit up straight. Toothless's ears perked up, and Hiccup dimly saw a shadow from in front of him brake until he was neck to neck with the Night Fury, taking their wingman. The bright, round moon did nothing to dispel the black of the night.

"You slept at all?" Stoick's voice asked from the darkness.

"No," Hiccup answered. "I'm a little restless."

"I understand," his father replied. There was a pause. "We're approaching the strait Stormfly led us to," he added after a moment. "It is probably ten minutes if we keep up this pace."

Hiccup nodded, and the chief guided Skullcrusher back to the front of the group. Shifting in the saddle, Hiccup grabbed the hand-holds on Toothless's saddle, then leaned slightly left, guiding the Night Fury away from the main group.

The moon behind them, illuminating the spotless horizon before them, Hiccup nudged Toothless, who sped up, thrusting forward with his wings, till they were racing, far ahead of the other Dragon Riders, and the A Team.