THREE

"Your eyes betray the mask
you hold so close to your heart."

THE   CHOSEN  ONE
AND THE
ENIGMA GENERAL

Kaia Zevari.
written by asteria.

THE REPUBLIC GUNSHIP jostled with each passing minute, yet young Kaia Zevari stayed rooted in her spot next to the Captain of the 501st legion. She could sense his subtle glances towards her, his aura betraying the bucket of plastid-alloy composite that covered his features.

"If you have something to say, Captain," She murmurs, trying to avoid the glances from the other troopers, "Just say it."

Rex is quiet, though his helmet turned to face her completely. His aura was unreadable to Kaia now, which only made the pit in her stomach grow uncontrollably, "Likewise, General." He muttered, a slight twinge of venom lacing his words.

Skywalker speaks up from the front, and for the first time Kaia is relieved to hear his voice. "Alright boys," Anakin starts, the cocky signature smirk returning to his lips, "We'll be approaching Felucia soon."

He pulls out a holopad from the comforts of his pockets, the cocky smirk on his face slowly fading. Kaia recognized the hologram that was before them, a separatist location without a doubt, but a bigger one that seemed to be more dangerous. If that was possible.

"Republic intel indicates that this will be the base we need to infiltrate." Skywalker's hand waves over the hologram, "We'll let our ships land first, find a place to set up for now, then I will debrief you on the next parts of the mission, understood?"

Each trooper acknowledged their general, some of the shinies practically shaking in their armor from excitement. Anakin had looked past one of the shinies, eyes briefly making eye contact with the 501st Captain and setting his eyes down on Kaia.

It was odd. Kaia was staring down at the land below them through the cracks of the doors on the gunships, a dazed look glossing her eyes while her fingers trembled against the hem of her robes.

Anakin shifted his body to the woman, words on the tip of his tongue while he simply stares at her.

"General Skywalker, have you arrived on Felucia?" Mace Windu's voiced echoed out of the com-link, making Anakin's voices of concern get shoved down to the back of his throat.

"We're about to land Master," Anakin replies, lifting his arm above him while the ships slowly begin to land, "We will give you updates on our plans while our camp gets set up,"

When the gunship clunked against the floor of Felucia, troopers of the 501st legion from two gunships began moving off, setting up wherever they could. Skywalker and Captain Rex were the last two off, Kaia following slowly behind them while her eyes scanned each of the troopers—subconsciously doing a headcount of the 501st legion.

A small grin lifted onto her face whenever her friend came into sight, the young Commander already talking up a storm with her troopers like there wasn't anything better than a good old talk.

Someone clears their throat softly, the sudden rough sound nearly making her fingers curl.

"General Zevari." Anakin addresses her, "May I speak with you?"

He watches as the small smile falls from the Jedi's face while she turns to him. Her eyes are filled with question, but all she gives is a simple nod. Anakin gestures to the gunship next to the duo, swiftly stepping on and closing the doors once the other Jedi had entered.

Anakin is surprised to hear to speak, "Can I help you, Skywalker?"

Kaia's features remind Anakin of a clone trooper's helmet, devoid of any emotion and just simply.. frozen. If it weren't for the small tremor in the force, Anakin would have thought he was talking to a droid.

"Your aura..." He starts softly, crossing his arms over his chest, "its conflicted."

A small frown collapses onto Kaia's lips, and her eyes shift to the dusty metal ship around her. She really didn't want to talk about this topic, but now what choice did she have now?

She lets out a soft sigh, "Nevermind it, Skywalker—"

"With all due respect, if you are going to be leading my troops somewhere I want you to lead with a clear mind."

Kaia nearly bursts.

"I'm not your padawan, your lessons do not concern me," She hisses, a cold glare meeting Anakin's neutral features, "You just do your part of the mission, and I'll find what I came here for."

The gunship doors slide open, a solid T shaped visor staring at the two Jedi. He politely gives both of them a nod, "Generals," He acknowledges, "Our camp has been set up and we await your instructions."

"At ease, trooper," Anakin says, keeping his eyes settled on the fuming Jedi in front of him, "We settle in today, and at dusk we review the plan."

"Yes, sir!"

Anakin smiles at Rex's formalities. While Kaia watches as the Captain walks away, a part of her wished she had a helmet like his to hide the tired scowl on her lips. She doesn't look back at Skywalker, letting her shoulders sag sightly whenever the nosey Jedi sighed.

"Look," He starts, and Kaia holds off the urge to roll her eyes, "Just... keep my troops safe."

Kaia's eyes widen at that.

She gives a simply nod, a small 'I promise' escaping her lips before she had time to think over her words.

Skywalker gives a polite nod to the woman in front of him, a neutral understanding finally settling between them while Anakin shifts his own gaze to his playful padawan.