06

Evelyn

"Noah your parents hate me. There is no point in denying that." I sigh as we walk near a park close to his parent's house.

There is no need to say how badly our lunch had been. From the moment I stepped inside his house that his parents couldn't stop complaining.

First, it was because of the dress I had chosen for the occasion, they said it was too pretentious. It was a simple winter black dress, perfect for a family lunch, yes maybe it was a little short but who cares?

Then it was the fact that I was working in one of the worst areas in London, they were afraid that I was becoming a bad influence on their son.

Is Noah five? He is a grown man of twenty-one. He knows how to take care of himself, he doesn't need his parents to decide everything for him.

I think they do this because I don't have any paternal figure at the moment, so they think they can replace my parents. But they can't. That is the exact reason why I didn't want Noah to tell them about my parents, but he insisted that it was a good idea. So now every time they looked at me all I could see was that they pitied me.

"They just want the best for me. And for you as well." Noah holds my hand tenderly.

The weekend has passed by so quickly, knowing that I only have a few more hours left of this Sunday to rest was killing me. Yesterday I spent most of my day trying to get some work done for university so I wouldn't be overly busy during the week. It was actually quite nice because I got to spend the entire day at home inside my bed, drinking hot chocolate.

Today was a lovely day, the sun was shining, and everyone was out in the parks. I loved seeing families and tourists walking around in London. If I was alone, I would sit down on a bench and look at them for hours.

It was a strange entertainment, but I loved seeing families together. Mothers with their young children having fun in the swings. Dad's playing football with their children. It reminds me of what I used to have when I was younger.

"Well I appreciate their concern, but I can take care of myself, right?"

"Yes babe, I'm sorry. I will try to talk to them." I nod thanking him. "I have missed you." Noah stops, pulling me closer to him to give me a small peck on the lips. There are children around us, we need to keep it family friendly. "Wednesday I have the day off, we could have a romantic diner together, what do you think?" Noah kisses my cheek before placing his arm around my shoulders as we resume our walk.

"Wednesday?" He nods. "I can't, Noah. It's my mother's birthday, I'm going to the nursing home to see her."

My mother has been in a nursing home for the past three years. It is not a normal nursing home for elderly people, it is one for mentally ill people, and unfortunately, my mother is one of them. She was diagnosed with dementia five years ago, when she was only forty-five. You never expect such a young woman to have those problems, but she had, and it was very serious.

Ever since my mother divorced my dad that her mental health had deteriorated severely. In the beginning, I thought it was only anxiety and depression, but she began losing her mind slowly. Now she barely recognizes me. I don't visit her as often as I should and I feel guilty about it, but it hurts me so much going there knowing that she doesn't acknowledge me as her daughter. I'm just a stranger for her, even though deep down I'm sure she knows who I am.

"I could go with you." Noah says even though I know he is only saying this to be nice.

"No, you know how badly she reacted last time. She doesn't like strangers."