Turnabout Deception, Part 4

March 12

Courtroom No. 1

12:00 PM

Cotoli Morix

"If Mr. Lent was lying about being there at the time of the crime, then that means that he was there when the attack took place. He remained hidden the whole time that the defendant was speaking with the victim since he didn't see a reason to show himself, but he was undoubtedly nearby the scene during their conversation," I began to explain. "If he was at the scene of the crime, then that immediately comes off as rather suspicious, especially given that we are looking for someone who attacked the victim from behind."

"You think that he's been lying up to this point because he was the one who attacked the victim then," Prosecutor Shield commented. "If he claimed that he wasn't present, then it would be hard for us to say that he was the one who attacked the victim, but if he was there... Well, it's easy to see how that would make all the pieces fit together."

"I think that we'll need to look over what the witness claimed that he was doing at the time of the crime again. After all, if he was present as you suspect, then that could make him a potential culprit," Judge Frost agreed with a firm nod. 

Mr. Lent let out a heavy, frustrated sigh and shook his head. "I don't know what you're on about. I wasn't there at the time, and you have no evidence to prove that I was there. Why don't you just drop it already?" he asked angrily. 

"Well, I do have a proposal, as a matter of fact," I said. I might not have had any evidence to use against him, but I could still put forward the one main idea that I had related to Mr. Lent. "I believe that I know something about the motive that Mr. Lent would have had if he were the culprit behind this case."

The members of the gallery began to talk above us, instantly bursting into chatter at the mention of a motive. I turned to Chrysalis with a small smirk, hoping to see if she had any thoughts about what I had said. She looked over to me and nodded in approval. 

"Do you think you know what I'm talking about?" I asked her, praying that she was keeping up with the conclusions I had come to. I didn't want to leave her in the dust, as she couldn't help me out if she didn't know where I was going with this.

"I do. The motive has been sitting right in front of us all along, and it would be ridiculous of us to dismiss it when it's clear what it is," she agreed. "Looking back on it, the motive seems perfectly obvious, and I assume that's the reason that he was trying to hide where he was at the time of the crime. If anybody realized he was there, the pieces would fit together all too well before he would be able to recover."

Judge Frost raised his gavel and slammed it down on the podium before him. "Order in the court!" he roared, a frown on his face. The chatter in the courtroom began to calm down, and he let out a heavy sigh before shaking his head. "Now, defense... I would like to know what you think the motive is behind this crime. Please explain your reasoning to the court."

"It's perfectly logical when you think about who the witness is. I want you tot tell me his occupation one more time," I told Judge Frost with a small smirk creeping onto my face. 

"Um... He's a security guard," Judge Frost told us, still frowning. "I don't understand what that would have to do with his motive though. Is his occupation the reason that he would have committed this crime?"

"It is, as a matter of fact. He was hired to ensure that the defendant was kept safe. The defendant asked Mr. Lent to come in and ensure that there were no violent outbreaks while he was sharing a discussion the victim. Mr. Lent's job was to make sure that there was no issue with physical fighting," I began to explain. "I'm sure that should start to put all the puzzle pieces together for what happened at the time."