0.1 ~ The Deal

     "I just can't believe you're still with that scumbag." My best friend, Asia, tells me. 

     I sigh and hug my books close to my chest as we make our way through the crowded hallways. "I just feel like there's no way out,"

     She stops and grabs my wrist, "You always have a way out, it's just whether you take it or not."

     I nod in agreeance with her, just so she'd drop the topic. Trust me, if I had a way out, I would've taken it by now. I lock eyes with Penelope Harper and my stomach drops and I shoot her a sad smile. I miss you, I mentally say to myself. We made our way out the doors and into the parking lot to say our goodbyes. 

     "Are you sure you don't want a ride home, Jade?" She asks.

     I shake my head, "I'm good. I think I'm going to sit on the bleachers and study again today." 

     "Come on," She teases, "I know that's just an excuse for you to watch all the sexy, shirtless football players practice."

     I laugh, "Maybe a little. But I do need to get some homework done."

     "Alright, Jade. Text me if you need anything." We both wave goodbye.

     I made my way to the stadium and climbed up the bleachers. I took a seat towards the top, so I could rest my back on the railing. I scan the field of shirtless men. I felt myself drooling a little. My stomach twists in knots as my eyes landed on my boyfriend, Peter Herring. I shutter as memories flash through my mind. I quickly busy myself with my work, ignoring the pit in my stomach.

     I must've lost track of time because the whistle blew, alerting that practice was over. I jump a little, then watch as all the football players jog back under the bleachers. All except one. Alec Martinez stood talking to the coach. His eyes flicker up to where I was sitting, and I instantly looked away. I scold myself for staring and began packing up my things. 

     I wince in fear as he stood in front of me. Thank god he's not shirtless. "You're in my physics class, right?" He asks, running a hand through his beautiful brown, curly hair.

     I smiled up at him, "Yeah,"

     "I actually was wondering if you could help me with the homework?" My stomach flutters slightly, but I choose to ignore it. "We could study at my place?" He offers and I bit my lip nervously. My heart starts beating faster. My mind was screaming at me to not except. It was too dangerous. All boys are the same, I reminded myself. He saw the panic in my face and he instantly takes a seat next to me. "Don't worry, it's just studying. I'm not like that."

     I let out a sigh of relief, "I guess that would be okay,"

     He smiles in triumph and he takes me to his car. I push away the thoughts in my head that were telling me to not go. I slide in the car anyway. Right before we drove off, I caught a glimpse of Peter glaring at me from the sidewalk. I gasp slightly and sink into the seat.

     Alec furrows his eyebrows, "Who are you hiding from?"

     I let out a nervous laugh and adjust myself back into the seat, "Uh, no one."

     He just shook his head, obviously not convinced, but also not wanting to pry. The car ride was eerily silent, Alec occasionally trying to make small talk. I reply with quick, "yes" or "no"'s. We pull up to a small town home with a yellow painted door. He leads me through the front door and I take in the homey surrounds. Pictures of his family were hung throughout.