Penguins

Several years later Bucky found that married life was difficult and exciting and calm. He worked as an Avenger while Clara found herself working with them in planning their missions. It turned out that working with the Avengers was completely different than working with regular SHIELD agents. She was happy to walk into work when they needed her. Everyone was kind and goofy, a stark contrast to the strictly professional environment she found herself in at SHIELD headquarters.

Not to mention she and Bucky had a lot more time together.

"Oh Bucky, that's so sweet!" Clara cried, melting as they watched a penguin on the TV waddle around, gathering rocks to make a nest for his mate. "He doesn't even know who she is yet but he's getting ready!" She held onto his hand, messing with the ring on his finger. "Isn't that adorable?"

"Oh, yeah," he said absentmindedly. Most of his attention was on Clara. Her legs were crossed but she laid on her back, head on Bucky's thigh. His hand, held captive by both of Clara's, rested over her stomach. It wasn't comfortable, but she was, so he was fine with it.

"Look! He found someone!"

"Clar," Bucky murmured, leaning down to be closer to her face, "you know they mate for life right?"

"Yeah."

"I found my penguin."

"James Buchanan Barnes," Clara gasped dramatically. "Did you find another woman? Must I remind you of the rings we bear?"

Bucky closed the gap and kissed her forehead. "Never, doll. It'll always be you."

Clara's eyes widened at his words. "Hopefully not just me," she said softly, holding his hand tighter. "I mean... they had baby penguins. What if... we did too?" The penguin documentary wasn't the focus of her attention anymore. Her gaze was locked solely on Bucky's face.

"What are you saying?" He knew, though - Bucky understood what his wife was saying. "Are you really-"

"Yes. I am."

Bucky's bewildered expression turned into one of excitement and pure joy as Clara sat up and turned to kneel on the couch.

"And I know this is really early to think about," Clara continued, her lips quirking to one side as she spoke, "but if it's a boy, I want him to be named James, because his father is the best man I know, and his father also doesn't use his first name in the first place so there will be no confusion."

"And if it's a girl?"

"Jamie."

As Bucky's eyes began to prick with tears, he pulled his hand away from Clara and opened his arms. "Come here," he said softly.

Clara got to her knees and accepted Bucky's right, warm embrace.

"I love you so much," he murmured and pressed his lips against Clara's curl-covered hair. "Thank you."

"I love you too, James. I love you too."

Several months later, with tears in their eyes, they welcomed James into the world, smiling when they found a large black soulmark on his thigh. They knew one day he would have an adventure in finding love, just as his parents did.