Chapter 12: The Invitation to the Festival

_________________________________________________

It was the peak of noon when Aiden's assigned brigade went to patrol the outskirts of Hartum. On a narrow road along the dark forest, they met three Hartum knights.

"What brings the Elite Knights to the lands of Hartum?" said the lead knight.

"We're patrolling the boundary of the dark forest," replied Aiden casually.

The knight gave his companions a look of confusion. "We patrol that boundary, is something amiss?" the lead knight questioned.

"I should hope not the celebration has just begun," added the knight on the right.

"Celebration?" Aiden asked.

"It is our Harvest festival, sir," answered the knight on the left.

"We don't usually invite the Elite Knights to the festival. Since you're all high and mighty and have other concerns, but now that you're here, you are more than welcome to join us," put in the lead knight.

"We'll keep that in mind," replied Aiden.

The lead knight bowed his head. "As you were good sirs, we'll take our leave." He whipped the reins down on his horse.

The three knights strode towards Hartum, while Aiden and his brigade continued along the narrow road.

"I must say Henry the more I lay my eyes upon your sister, the more I find myself entranced by her beauty," exclaimed Brum.

"Don't talk about my sister like that," objected Henry.

"Just sharing a thought," Brum replied apologetically. He shrugged.

Henry shook his head. "Well, share something else."

"I would like your blessing to court her," Brum said with rigor.

Henry shot him a confused look.

"You are the man of the house now, are you not?" remarked Brum.

Grinning, barely able to stop himself from bursting into laughter, Henry replied, "Sort of, but I hold no authority over my older sister."

"Is that a yes then?" pressed Brum.

"I hope you're serious about this."

"That is why I'm asking. Wait, is she affianced to anyone?"

"Affianced, my sister, no." Henry set spurs to his horse, cutting Brum off, and they come to a halt. "Just don't hurt her feelings, or you'll have me to deal with."

"I would never," claimed Brum.

Their horses trot forward on their command, and they rejoin the brigade. Brum moved ahead, catching up with Aiden and told him they had to go to the festival.