Chapter 4

Dinnertime.
    The mess hall was buzzing as Ariel stepped into it for the first time. She held her breath: there were a lot more people than she had expected.
    Rumor was that there was going to be a new addition to the Apollo cabin. Ariel didn't mind - it seemed like a cool cabin. In any case, she was glad that she had a talent. Maybe….maybe she was a demigod. She could stay here. Safe.
    "Announcements!" Chiron called from the head table. Ariel was seated at Hermes' table, where they welcomed her like family. She noticed a family trait - sharp noses, upturned eyebrows, mischievous smiles. It was clear Ariel was not a Hermes' child - she had a small nose, frail eyebrows, and a small smile that constantly stayed around Hermes' demigods.
    "We have yet another new demigod. I would like to welcome Ariel Sagitta to Camp-Half Blood." Chiron spoke.
    There was a smattering of applause, especially from Katie, Annabeth, and everyone at Hermes' table.
    "Congratulations to Katie Gardner and Jake mason for retrieving her safely." Chiron continued. "And now - "
    "It's my turn." Mr. D (Connor Stoll had told Ariel who he was) stood up and eyed the demigods. "Welcome to Camp Half-Blood newbie. As scheduled, there is Capture the Flag tomorrow, yada yada yada. Chariot racing is next week. Blah. Blah. Blah. Enjoy your dinner."
    The mess hall erupted with noise again. Everybody stood up and sacrificed a piece of their meal to the gods. Ariel approached the hearth, not exactly sure what to do.
    "Just pray to all of them." Travis Stoll said, who was being her. "Just to keep it safe."
    Ariel did that, but she wished that there was someone specific she could pray to.
    She went back to Hermes' table, where they were clearly enjoying themselves. She noticed that the dark-haired, green-eyed guy was eating by himself. Ariel questioned this to her new friends.
    "Oh, Percy?" Chris Rodriguez, a black-haired brown-eyed guy explained it to Ariel. "He's a son of Poseidon. All demigods sit at their assigned tables, and there aren't any other children of Poseidon, so he's alone. Poor guy."
    Ariel looked around. There were some empty tables, which were Zeus, Hera, and Artemis. She shivered - she definitely didn't want to sit at any of those tables.

    The campfire was a new experience for Ariel. There were so many people crammed against her, she forgot to be uncomfortable and enjoyed it. The closeness of everyone - figuratively, not literally - really surprised her, and she wished she could be a part of it.
    In other words, she enjoyed it. Everyone else seemed to be having a marvelous time, singing campfire songs and eating s'mores. Annabeth and Percy were sitting together, hands intertwined. Katie was sitting with her siblings. Hermes' cabin started throwing s'mores in the fire, making it grow larger.
    Rachel joined them later one. She looked slightly lost, as if she were thinking about something else. This didn't bother Ariel for too long- she was laughing at a joke the Stoll brothers made.
    "Attention, everyone!" Chiron trotted into the amphitheater, and everyone bowed respectfully to him.
    "It has been a week since our battle with Kronos. I would like to take this time to acknowledge the many demigods we have lost."
    Silence fell over everyone. The buzz and happiness that had once been there had evaporated. Many people started crying silently - Annabeth wasn't so silent. Ariel didn't understand: battle? Kronos? She figured it must've been pretty bad.
    "We shouldn't dwell on the bad things, though." Chiron said optimistically. "We should focus on the good things, like more recruits. More cabins. Peace."
    Many people applauded. Percy turned slightly red.
    "He was the main reason we won." Travis Stoll replied to Ariel's confused look.
    "All of us, really. Too bad we never raided that candy shop." Connor said wistfully.
    "Yeah. But we still got those wicked phones."
    "I got a new Blackberry - but don't tell anyone. We're not supposed to have it." Chris told Ariel.
    "But why not?"
    "Becau-"
    "Off to bed, everyone!" Chiron clapped his hands. "Another big day tomorr-"
    "ARIEL!"
    Benches toppled. A few kids screamed
    Ariel froze, staring at Rachel. The oracle was gripping her bench so tightly, it could've snapped any moment. Her eyes were turning into a scary shade of green.
    Connor and Travis Stoll pulled Ariel back.
    "What's going on?" Ariel cried frantically.
    "I don't know." Annabeth answered as Rachel stood up, eyes glowing.
    "Beware….beware, daughter of the moon….beware…"
    A light shined down, causing the Stoll brothers to gasp and let go of her. What was going on?
    Annabeth stared at something above Ariel's head. "Oh my god - that's not - "
    Ariel looked up.
    A gleaming sign was above her. It wasn't the golden lyre she'd been electing. Instead, it was…it was….
    "It's a deer." Annabeth stammered. "A silver deer."
    Chiron paled. "No. No."
    Something had appeared in Ariel's hands - a silverly bow.
    "It can't be." Percy stood up. "Isn't she.."
    "Apparently not." Jake Mason muttered, also looking at Ariel in awe.
    "What's is it?" Ariel panicked. "Is there something I did wrong?"
    Nobody replied. That didn't exactly reassure Ariel.
    Slowly, everybody went on their knees and bowed to her. Ariel didn't know what to do.
    "Hail Ariel." Chiron's voice was strained. "Daughter…daughter of Artemis."

   * * *