Chapter 10

Chapter 10

    The room was dead silent. You could’ve heard a piece of hair drop – never had there been so many demigods in 1 room that were so silent. Ariel was completely embarrassed – her body was shaking profoundly – but she stayed standing up. She didn’t want to look weak, undetermined.

    “Are – ”

    “You – ”

    “Insane?!” Connor and Travis asked in unison.

    “You can’t be serious.” Katie exclaimed. “You just got here!”

    “And right after the battle – ”

    “It’d be dangerous – ”

    “You don’t know how to lead a quest!”

    The demigods erupted in a cacophony of sound. Annabeth, Percy, and will started protesting to Chiron. Katie and Drew were having a heated argument, Katie practically spitting. Jake and Butch, a son of Iris, were calmly talking, as if they were discussing statistics. Connor and Travis were yelling complete nonsense over the roar in the room. The only person that didn’t react was Clarisse, who was sharpening her spear.

    “Quiet!” Chiron spoke loudly. The sound only escalated.

    “QUIET!” Chiron yelled, his voice echoing throughout the room.

    Everyone immediately shut up. The chaos had startled the wolf, who was now cleaning its fur.

    “Ariel.” Chiron said, his eyes staring right at her. “Are…are you sure about this?”

    Ariel nodded.

    “Chiron, don’t.” Percy complained. “She has a choice.”

    “I must, Percy. The more time we use discussing this, the less time the Hunters will have. We have to issue a quest immediately.” Chiron spoke the last sentence with contempt. “And we need new souls. Fresh minds.”

    A warm feeling spread throughout Ariel. Finally, she might be able to get the answers she’d been craving her whole life.

    “Another quest?” Rachel sighed. “Are you sure about this, Chiron?”

    “I’m sure.” Chiron said uncertainly.

    Rachel closed her eyes. Percy and Annabeth grasped Rachel’s shoulders, as if they knew what was about to happen.

    Slowly, Rachel opened her eyes. They were the scary shade of green that Ariel was still scared of. A look on everyone else’s face told her that she wasn’t the only one that was freaked out about it.

    Rachel seemed to be in a trance. Green smoke was shooting out of her ears. She opened her mouth, and spoke in a harsh voice:

    3 will travel to the Midwest,

    The silver daughter will choose who is best.

    All will meet the Echidna’s heir,

    One will be able to enter the lair.

    2 must make a foe or friend,

    Not everything will be saved in the end.

    Rachel passed out. A few kids stood up and carried Rachel out of the room, as if they had been trained to do this.

    The room was dead silent. Again.

    “Uh.” Travis cleared his throat. “It seems that you’re going to Chicago.”

    “Along with 2 companions.” Annabeth added. “3 is a sacred number.”

    “You didn’t exactly listen to Chiron about that, Wise Girl.” Percy muttered with a small grin.

    “Zip it, squid head.”

    Connor and Travis choked back a laugh. They mouthed to each other – squid head?

    “That prophecy doesn’t sound too bad.” Clarisse mused. “Better than our latest one for sure.”

    “But it said…not everything will be saved in the end.” Ariel stammered.

    “Quests aren’t always successful.” Chiron told her gently. “If they were…” he trailed off, deep in thought.

    “Who will you choose to go on your quest?” Jake asked.

    Everyone turned towards Ariel again.

    “Uh.” Ariel turned pink. “Katie?”

    Katie smiled. “I’ll stick with you no matter what.”

    Ariel’s worry shrunk astronomically. Katie was definitely a person Ariel admired and liked. Having Katie with her would make things easier.

    Drew rolled her eyes. “I hate to bring it up, but you do realize that this is suicide? Echidna’s heir – that’s like, every monster.”

    “Not every.” Annabeth corrected. “Just a lot, like – ”

    “Oh, don’t even start Annabeth.” Drew yawned.

    “We will succeed.” Katie pounded a fist on the table. “We must!”

    “No need to get excited about it.” Jake muttered.

    “Who will your other companion be?” Percy asked, cutting off the side conversation.

    Great. Ariel looked around the room, trying to think. Annabeth and Percy were good candidates, but Chiron had forbid them to go on any quests. She didn’t really know anybody else besides the Stoll brothers, and…well, she couldn’t choose one over the other, could see? And Ariel knew she needed Katie.

    “I…I don't know.” Ariel said.

    Chiron smiled at her encouragingly. “You can decide later. I’m sure you’ll be able to stay here for another night. Meeting adjourned – we’ve accomplished our task.” He walked to the stairs and trotted up.

    People started getting up and leaving in groups of 2 and 3. Katie stood up and went to Ariel, Drew right behind her.

    “You’re insane Katie, joining a quest led by a 12-year-old that shouldn’t exist? She’s a freak, a loser. You can both be losers together.”

    “Shut up Drew.” Katie snapped, but she was blushing beet-red. Her hands looked clammy, her eyes unfocused.

    “Suit yourself, Katie. But remember this: Daddy always loved me best.” Drew smirked, then flipped her black hair and sauntered off as if she were queen of the world.

    Katie was fuming – a sight that scared Ariel. The strong, nice, supportive friend she knew was shaking with fear and anger.

    “Calm down Katie.” Annabeth was right next to her friend. “Drew wants this to happen. Fight it.”

    “I won’t calm down!” Katie screamed. “I WON’T CALM DOWN! DREW!” She started running towards the stairs.

    Connor and Travis blocked the stairs. “Woah, Katie. Angry much?”

    “Let. Me. Through!”

    Percy and Annabeth held Katie back, struggling. Katie was determined to get to Drew, and was fighting back hard.

    “K-Katie?” Ariel stammered. “What’s wrong?”

    “Hey.” A hand fell onto Ariel’s shoulder. “Come on. I’ll tell you outside.”

    * * *

Chapter 11 coming soon!