Chapter 2

Jon woke up the next day, refreshed. Just to make sure, he pulled out the book and confirmed that today would be the day the royal brood spar with the Stark one. He placed it back and got out of his room and to the rookery to talk to Maester Luwin.

The rookery was better than the one at Castle Black but it still needed certain repairs. The maester was feeding the crows and ravens, while humming some obsolete song. Trying not to laugh Jon approached him and said, "Good morn, Maester Luwin." The Maester quickly stopped singing and replied, "Good morn to you too, Jon. Tell me, why are you here so early in the morning? Is there something I can help you with?"

"Yes, Maester Luwin. Could you give me a piece of paper and some ink? I need to send a message by a raven."

"And to whom may that message be, Jon?" said the maester, a frown beginning to form on his face.

"A maester in Castle Black named Aemon. Aemon Targaryen," Jon replied and he could see the frown upon Luwin's face turn to shock.

"Why would you want to contact him?" Luwin was trying to hide it but the shock was still there, along with something else. Fear. Does he know Maester Aemon, Jon thought, or is he surprised I even know about him? Jon decided to improvise. "I read a book that says Aemon Targaryen was the older brother of Aegon V and that he went to the Wall to serve the Night's Watch as a maester. Bloodraven, the legitimized natural-born son of Aegon IV, went with him and became Lord Commander." It was not a lie, at least not a complete one. Jon didn't even know where all these came from. Maybe he was attentive to the lessons Maester Luwin gave after all.

When the maester heard that, the shock disappeared but there was still the hint of fear. "You haven't answered my question."

"I needed to talk to him about the conditions north of the Wall. Who knows? One day, I will join the Night's Watch. It is only expected of me to learn as much about the Brotherhood and what they deal with as I can." There was still skepticism in Luwin's eyes but the fear was gone. "You are correct. Wait for me here until I come back." And with that, the maester left Jon in the rookery, alone.

Should I tell him about the book, Jon thought, surely a maester would understand; but no. Maester Luwin served House Stark and since Lord Stark was the patriarch of the family, the maester would feel obliged to tell him.

Jon heard the maester coming as his chains clinked against each other. The maester came back with a blank parchment, a quill and a small container of ink. "Go on then. Write on the table there," said Maester Luwin, pointing at the only table and chair in the rookery. Jon sat down, submerged the tip of the quill in the ink and started writing:

Maester Aemon,

I know what you are about to read will be unbelievable but it is the truth. If you want proof, I can't give it to you since I don't want to end up like your kin, Brynden Rivers.

Never bring a dead body, even that of a fellow brother's, south of the Wall. Just put it a league north of the Wall and wait. Wildlings – or Free Folk, as they like to call themselves, are coming. A hundred thousand of them .Ask the Lord Commander to send rangers if you want to make sure. Think about it. This is the biggest number of wildling movement in all of history. Ask yourself. Why are they coming to the wall? The only answer, as I am sure you would agree, is that they are running; but from who? Or what? Make the men of Night's Watch remember its original goal.

- Jon Snow

Jon laid down the quill on the table and stood up to find Maester Luwin staring at him curiously. "How do you know about the wildling movement?" asked Maester Luwin. Jon was at a loss. He couldn't say he heard a rumor since the Night's Watch itself hadn't heard yet. He remembered Bran's part in the book and said, "I saw it in a dream. I swear it. The wildlings had giants and mammoths."

"Hmmm. Fine, I will send it right now,"

Jon exited the rookery and noticed that it was noon. Did it take me all this time to come up with that time to come up with that letter? He went to the training yard to see Bran spar with Prince Tommen. He sat on the sill of a window and looked down at the clumsy exchanging of blows below. He knew that Arya would come with Nymeria but it was still astonishing. She sat beside him with a dissatisfied face as she saw who was sparing. Jon said his line to see how his sister would react. "Shouldn't you be working on your stitches, little sister?"

"I want to see them fight," she said with a pouty face.

"Come here, then," Jon said, patting the bare windowsill beside him. She smiled as she climbed on the windowsill and watch the fight.

"Why aren't you down in the yard?" Arya asked, eventually.

"Bastards are not allowed to damage young princes," he returned, gritting his teeth whereas that Shit-For-A-Prince Joffrey stood there, looking bored. This is the boy that would be responsible for the destruction of his family. Jon was tempted to get down there, pick a sword and drive it in that vicious idiot's belly but that would only get him killed. And then what? You will die screaming, you bastard.

Arya shaked him out of my dark thoughts to point out that Bran won. Ser Rodrik was asking Joffrey and Robb if they will go another round. "Wait for it," Jon told Arya. "Just listen to Robb." As the book said, Joffrey insulted Robb on his age and fighting skills. Sure, Jon was better at the sword but Robb should not be disregarded either. Sandor Clegane - the Hound – entered the spat in the defense of his charge. Jon has mixed feelings for him. Actually, he had mixed feelings for everybody these days. The Hound was a murderer that much is true. But he was not responsible for his behavior. The Mountain is. That was when Robb began a colorful bout of cursing that that made Arya's eyes widen. "The show is done," Jon said as he jumped down the windowsill. "You should get to your room fast, little sister. Septa Mordane will punish you harshly if you stay longer." And then, remembering the book, he added, "Lady Stark might be there too." Arya squeaked in mock fear and went to her room. Better seek Bran, Jon thought agitatedly, looking at the yard, where Bran was suddenly missing. Him and his direwolf.