Chapter Fourteen

Morning comes around and I feel like I need to throw up. I drink some water and take medicine. So many things could go wrong today. All I had to do was drive and I knew I could do that, but you never know what could happen. I put on my leather jacket and tight pants. My hair is messy but tolerable so I just put a beanie on. I noticed a box on my dresser that wasn't there before. I pick it up, it's heavy. Opening it reveals a silver handgun and a small note.

'I love you baby, keep this on you' the note reads. The gun is from Coby. I slip it into my waistband knowing I probably won't use it.

I was going to walk downstairs but I decided against it, since we were leaving for another hour. I walk to room four which is Coby's. I knocked and heard a grunt from the other side. I opened the door and slipped in. Coby looks up from his desk and smiles.

"Good morning" I sing. He laughs and stands up.

"Good morning beautiful" he whispers into my ear and then pulls me into a hug. He pecks my lips and then walks to his closet. He grabs his boots and his leather jacket. We chat as he gets ready. I sit on his bed and admire him from afar.

"Thank you for trusting me to do this," I tell him. He doesnt look up from tying his shoes but he responds.

"I'm admitting to myself that you can take care of yourself, and I'm trying to not be overbearing," he says truthfully. I smile and move closer to where he is sitting on the bed. I wrap my arms around him slowly and lean my cheek into his shoulder. He finishes his shoes and then hugs me back. We sit there for a minute. Were broken apart by the yelling downstairs saying everyone needs to be down here. We walk down and sit in the living room. Coby stands up in the middle of the room going over the plans. My only job was to drive as fast as I could to get away and not stop for anything. Isaac hands me keys for the car and then hugs me.

We walk outside and people crawl into the cars. I put on my sunglasses and get into the drivers seat. I have Toddy, Seth, Josh, and Coby in my car. Coby sits in the passenger's seat and the other three squeeze into the back. Isaac's car pulled out so I followed him. We drive about an hour to a couple towns over. My hands are shaking so I grip the steering wheel harder. It doesnt help that Coby is studying the way I drive. I know he's not judging, in fact he's smiling, but I still don't like people watching me. Isaac slows down the car in front of the gates of a big house. It's not as big as ours and had more of a rustic look to it. The three boys in the back get out and shut the doors. Coby looks at me.

"Everything is going to be okay" he whispers and then kisses me. He doesn't wait for me to respond and gets out of the car. The last I see of them is all of them walking through the gate. I wanted to go talk to Isaac who was right in front of me. I knew I couldn't though, it was my job right now to be on guard. I don't know if I feel like time is passing fast or slow. A little of both to be honest. There are times I would shut my eyes and open them five minutes later, or do the same thing but it would still be the same minute. I haven't heard anything from the house. My legs shake and I get more nervous. It had been twenty five minutes by the time I heard the first shot go off. Followed by many others. I knew people were dying but I tried not to think about it. The gunfire stopped abruptly after four minutes and fifty five seconds. Our people ran out of the door, blood staining their clothes. I saw someone being carried by two other people to Isaac's car, he was still alive though. I quickly put the car into drive as people got in my car. I heard all three doors close and then I started driving. No words were spoken but they were all breathing heavy. I went faster and faster, drifting corners with Isaac right in front of me.

All the fear I once felt was gone. I rolled down the window and felt the air in my hair. We pulled onto the highway doing one hundred twenty. It was a new feeling of freedom to me. I wasn't racing because I wanted to, this time I was doing it out of need. Something snapped in me that moment. I was forced to live with a gang but I fit in. My parents are dead and I have no one to stop me. I have Coby on my side and I feel unstoppable. My grip releases a little on the steering wheel. I take a deep breath. This was different though, I wasn't just breathing. I was becoming a new person.

We got back to the house. Everyone ran upstairs to help the guy who people were carrying. He was apparently shot in the leg. Me and Coby were the only ones still left downstairs. He comes up to me and kisses my forehead.

"You are the strongest woman I know Tal. I'm sorry for doubting you in the beginning" he whispers while caressing my face.

"I'm sorry I talked back to you and all that shit at the beginning" I looked at his eyes. To my surprise he smiled at my comment.

"Why would you apologize if thats what made me fall in love with you?" He says happily.

"I love you too" I say and then kiss him.