Chapter Sixteen

I've only been awake for a few minutes. Everything couldn't be more perfect. I laid my head on Coby's hard chest. His breathing is steady and quiet. He moves around in his sleep to wrap his arms around me. My stomach gets fuzzy and I can feel myself smiling.

"Good morning" he whispers with his eyes still closed. I snuggled against his body in response.

The door swings open and someone runs in. We both grumble and yell at them. I look up to see Seth with tears running down his face.

"Isaac got shot! Get up quick" he says quickly and then runs out again. I look to Coby whose eyes are wide. He runs out of bed. He throws a shirt on and runs out wearing his sweatpants. I throw on a hoodie and run after him. My brother was shot? My head ran through the worst things it could. Is he dead? Will he be okay? I could already feel the tears at my eyes by the time I made it down the stairs. Coby pulled his car out to the front of the house and I got in. We started down the road and thats when I couldnt stop myself. Tears ran down my face and I sobbed. Coby looked like he didnt know what to do.

After a few minutes he puts his hand on my thigh and stays quiet. I find a tissue in the car and wipe my nose.

"It's going to be okay Tal'' he whispers. Although it sounds like he is reassuring himself more than me. I don't respond to him. I can't talk without my voice cracking. I sit in silence trying to get my crying under control. I can't lose my brother.

When we arrive at the hospital we see Toddy waiting for us outside. We get out of the car and walk to him.

"It's not looking good," he says to Coby. My stomach drops at his words. He has to be okay.

"What happened?" I say pleading for answers. Toddy looks at me with grief.

"He was out on patrol early this morning on Front Street with Seth. Seth says that they heard a shot and then Isaac fell" Toddy says to me quietly.

"That's all you know?!" I ask my voice raising. I can feel the anger in my body wanting to come out. How could this happen?! Coby puts his hand on my lower back and leads me into the hospital. We're told to wait so we do. For hours.

The nurse came out to tell us that Isaac is in surgery. It's been two hours since then. I stopped crying but my heart was beating so loud I could feel it in my feet. I sat in a chair. It was blue, I only noticed this because I didn't have anything else to look at. Coby was on his phone just staring. I leaned my head on his shoulder and he stroked my hair.

"What if he's not okay" I whispered. He turned to me and looked at my dead in the eyes.

"Then we stay strong. You are strong Talia" he mummers kissing my cheek. I know he's trying to be supportive but that's not what I wanted to hear right now. I stare at the wall for another hour until the doctor comes out. The entire house gang is here plus a few of the boys that live in other places. We all sit up as she walks towards us.

"Are you here for Isaac?" she asks, smiling sadly. Toddy glares at her. "Yes just like the last three hours'' he says through his teeth. She probably didnt deserve the attitude but we are all under stress. The nurse bobs her blonde hair and sneers at him.

"He didn't make it through surgery, the fines will be mailed to you" she says and then walks away. I can hear her heels click down the hall. They slow down, everything slows down. I hear people talking but can't make it out over the ringing in my ears. This is a nightmare it has to be. I almost don't notice everyone leaving. It's just me and Coby in the waiting room.

I look at him. He has tears on his face but he doesn't make a sound. I stand up to walk to him but immediately fall to the ground. My legs feel like Jello and my stomach even worse. Coby runs over to me and picks me up. I bury my nose into his neck and close my eyes. I fall asleep before we even reach the car.

It's been four days. Four days since Isaac died. Four days after I've eaten, showered, and left my room. Four days since my most trusted person left my life. I haven't felt anything. I dont cry or yell. When someone tries to come in I scream and throw things until they get out. I threw a book at Coby yesterday, that made me feel bad. He shouldn't have tried to come in though. I go through my photo album. The pictures of me and Isaac fill the pages. I noticed that the pictures taken a couple years before he left he's always wearing long sleeves. To hide his cuts he got from dad. I shake my head and continue through my book. We're smiling. We're happy. He's gone. I came across one picture where he is in his car. He had just won his first race. That's when it clicked in my head.

Isaac was a free spirited rebellious kid who didn't give a shit. He was strong and didn't let people get to him. He let me come here to the gang. He wouldn't have if he didn't think I could handle it. He knew I was strong. I know I'm strong.

I stand up and march to the bathroom. I take a hot shower and clean my body. When I get out I dress in black pants and black crop top and my leather jacket. I curl my hair to the finest and do my makeup. I paint my lips with bright red lipstick. Looking at myself in the mirror I smile. My black hair is longer than when I got here. My grey eyes sparkle the same as they always have. It's for a different reason now though. Now my eyes shine with vengeance and possibility.

My stomach growls when I stand up. I decide to grab a snack and then go for a drive around the neighborhood. I go downstairs ignoring the people staring at me. I see Toddy sitting at the dining table. He looks up and raises his eyebrows. I smile and wink at him then go to the fridge. I hear him chuckle in the background. I feel arms wrap around my waist as I search the fridge.

"I'm glad your back, Sexy" Coby whispers in my ear. I turn around and look at him. His blue eyes filled with desire and his black hair disheveled. I stand on my toes and give him a kiss. He smiles at me when I turn around and walk to the counter. I make sure to move my hips extra because I know he's looking. I grab a hand gun off the counter and load it. I turn around making my hair spin.

"I'm going for a drive," I say. Then I kiss Coby's cheek and walk outside. I know everyone is staring at me, but I dont care. Let them stare baby.