Part 21

"You're looking very lovely tonight Ms.Knowles." I laughed and hugged him. He always knew what to say to help me calm down. Yeah, the butterflies were in full effect at the moment. I don't even know why I was nervous, I've been on dates with him before, hell, he's seen me naked before! This night is just special for me, I guess. It's a once in a lifetime experience, I just don't want to ruin it. "Oh, I got this for you." He said holding out the corsage. I smiled and extended my hand. As he placed it on, he looked up at me with the biggest smile ever. "Perfect." I blushed and looked down at it, he was right, it really was perfect.

"Alright yall, you got ten minutes for pictures and hugs and then we gotta high tail it!" Roy said walking past the guests. Shawn grunted and shook his head. Roy was always known for ruining special moments, and this was no exception. Sometimes, I think he can sense when someone is falling in love all over again, and he decides that he doesn't like it. "Has anyone seen my champagne? Who stole my champagne?" He yelled running into the kitchen. Shawn looked at me and we both just laughed. That was our family right there, we couldn't do anything but laugh.

"I wonder how it's gonna go with him and Kelly tonight." I said looking off into her direction. She was standing with Roy's mother just talking away. I know it's weird for them, after everything that happened, but I'm glad we're all being adults about it. True, Roy and Kelly aren't together anymore, and true, they aren't each other's dates, but it doesn't matter. We all got over it, and they like it this way. "Oh, I almost forgot, I need to put my pillow in the limo. You know I can't sleep at a hotel without it." I said about to go upstairs. He pulled me back and smiled. "What?" I asked blushing. I hated when he looked at me for no reason, it made me feel like a little school girl, afraid to even look at the boy I liked.

"I'll go get it, you stay here." He said kissing me. He ran upstairs and I walked into the kitchen where our families were all posted up eating everything in sight. Everyone met up at our house earlier because we thought it would be easier that way, than for us to go around picking up everyone. Plus, we're all family to each other, so it made sense. "I swear, if you don't learn to clean up after yourself soon, you're doomed for life. Your room is gross!" Shawn said coming back. I looked at him and snatched my pillow away. "Don't get angry with m, it's the truth. Ask anyone around here, they would all agree. You're like a big baby, a big messy baby." He said laughing.

"You're getting me angry Shawn. Don't make me get angry tonight." I said taking deep breaths in. "Go put this in the limo though, I don't want to look dumb carrying it." I said giving him the pillow back. He walked outside and I walked over to my aunt. "How much longer do we have to stay, we're already running late. I want to at least make it there on time for Kelly to get her crown." I said looking at the clock on the wall. And yes, I did say Kelly. See, the whole senior class had this whole thing planned out, Kelly would win Queen and Roy would win King. It's like we were putting in last minute efforts to save their relationship. We're not sure how far we're gonna go, but we hope it starts something.

"Just ten more minutes, and you guys can go." She said smiling. We both just stood there, looking at each other. I felt water works about to start, so I just laughed. It was the only way us two can snap back into reality. She wiped her eyes and then hugged me. "I can't believe you've grown up so much already. I want you and Kelly to go back out there and ride your bikes, just so I can laugh at you when you fall. This isn't fair, my babies grew up." She said bursting into tears. I felt another pair of arms wrap around me and noticed it was Kelly. How did I notice? I could smell her. You know how some people just have a signature smell, and their house has a signature smell also? Well, I've mastered Kelly's smell.

"I don't want to leave, I love you guys!" She said hugging me tighter. If there was one thing to describe this moment, it would be torture. Yes, torture. And you know why? Kuz I couldn't breathe. These two women were practically suffocating me at this moment, and there was nothing I could do about it. I didn't want to ruin the moment. "We should have failed a couple of grades, we would never be in this situation if we were dumb!" Kelly said sniffing. Is she crazy? Fail? Just to stay at home? Ha! I can't wait till I leave this place. I want to be on my own, and experience life, and show my aunt and uncle that all those years of punishing me and yelling at me really did work. I want them to be proud, and I want to be proud of myself as well.

"Alright you guys, it's time to go!" Roy said coming into the kitchen and hollering. I swear, this boy sure knew how to ruin every damn moment. That's why he's going dateless! "Kelly, you are looking mighty fine tonight, except for that little nose hair you got, but it's all good in the hood, right?" He said pinching her cheek. She gasped and ran towards the bathroom, while he broke out into laughter. Sometimes, I can't stand his punk ass. He doesn't deserve to be going to college with his tiny little brain. "Has anyone seen Shawn by the way? I told his ass to come in here when he was done outside, but he never showed." He said looking straight at me. I just shrugged my shoulders. I sent him out, I didn't pay attention to him afterwards. Was it possible to get lost? For him, it probably was. "Man forget it, let's just go!" He said pulling me. We all made it into the limo and our journey began.

"Alright let's set some rules for tonight." Michelle said busting out a paper from her purse. "Men, there will be no touching, looking, or poking unless it's being done to one of us, got it?" She said. They all nodded and she cleared her throat. "Moving on, there will also be no loud and embarrassing shout outs in the middle of the dance floor to either one of us. Roy, this is directed towards you." She said. He laughed a little, and then got serious when he saw her face. "And last, there will be no sad faces. We want this night to be perfect, we don't get another chance at this, if you mess it up for us, we will mess up the rest of your life. Whatever we say, you do. Don't try anything." She said folding the paper back up. "You girls want to add anything?" She asked looking at me and Kelly. We both sat back and she smiled. "Good." Once we arrived at the garden, we went inside and took pictures. It became awkward when Kelly and Roy had to take pictures together, but they promised their families they would, so it had to happen. Once on the dance floor, all the rules went to hell.

"Shawn, you better stop looking that way." I said grabbing his face and turning it towards me for the millionth time. This nigga had the nerve to have his eyes wandering all over the place since we got inside. It was funny at first, but now it's just a drag. I will pop him next time, that's a promise. "Don't go looking in her direction anymore, unless you're really sure you want to spend the rest of your life with her and not me." I said getting angry. He smiled and held me closer, as a way of telling me to shut up, but in a much nicer manner of course. "She ain't all that anyways. Her shoes are so last year." I said still keeping my eye on her. She seemed to be stealing looks at Shawn, and I had to make it known that he was mine. Hands down. This bitch was issuing a challenge, and damn it, she was about to get an answer.

"Don't trip baby, just enjoy yourself." Shawn said as we slowly continued dancing. The only reason I was keeping calm was kuz I knew they were gonna announce King and Queen soon, and I wanted to be here when Kelly and Roy got crowned. See, let me get more into that. We convinced both of them to run, and then people ran against them, but everyone knew Kelly and Roy were gonna win, we just needed fake people to run so they wouldn't know. It's all out of love, so they can't get too mad. Plus, they have no proof that we set anything up. "Oh look, it's about to go down." Shawn said tapping me. I turned to look towards the stage and the administrators were all up there. The music grew quiet and everyone turned to look towards the stage. Kelly and Michelle both came and stood next to me, while the guys stood behind us.

"Alright class, we're here to officially announce the King and Queen for tonight." Our principle said smiling. She knew we didn't have to hear her say the name. She was in on the game plan we had. Hell, everyone but Roy and Kelly were in on it. "Your Prom Queen is, Kelendria Rowland!" She said clapping along with the rest of us. Kelly looked at us and smiled. I mouthed 'you did it' to her and she slowly walked up on stage. They crowned her, and she stood off to the side, waiting for the King. "And Prom King goes to, Roy Williams!" Everyone cheered as he danced his way up on stage. At this point, Kelly didn't look too happy. Maybe it's kuz she finally figured it out. Like I said though, she has no proof. "Will the King and Queen please step down and have their first dance together." She said smiling at them and winking. Roy grabbed Kelly by the hand and led her to the middle of the circle. We all crowded around smiling at them. Who says I'm not the best friend a person could have?