C H A P T E R - O N E

A/N: hey.... how ya'll doin? So it's taken me a while to update this; oops. Anyways, this story has 400 reads before the first chapter? That's crazy to me, thank you! I wanted to thank specifically anyone who commented, voted, and added to their libraries. You guys are the reason I continue to write and I am forever grateful(: Alright I hope you guys enjoy. Don't forget that I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions and yeah, the usual vote/comment/add to your libraries!

----

She'd been out since before the sun had a chance to rise

She'd been out since before the sun had a chance to rise. Something she found herself doing too often.

The sunrise peeked through leafless trees briefly. Ultimately being hidden by snowstorm ridden clouds before she could give it a second thought to appreciate it's beauty. The empty gray sky stretched out for what seemed like forever before fortified walls billowing clouds of smoke came into view. Catching her line of sight and drawing her in closer.

Florence nodded at the guards as she reentered, walking through the streets of Winchester with her head bowed. Her hood was heavy, the wool keeping her hair from coming in contact with the falling snow. The hooded woolen cloak she wore was beautiful, yet simple. The fabric was thick and warm, a beautiful deep black dyed by her own hand. She had made it herself, along with many other garments. It was how she got by on day-old bread and homemade soups. Florence had been selling her self made garments to the fellow commoners of Winchester. The winter upon them was heavy, the coldest she'd encountered in years. With brisk winds and large snowflakes falling from the sky nearly constantly. It made hard times even more difficult for everyone, including Florence, but her work was thriving. She was thankful for that at least.

Winter was Florence's least favorite season by far here, this being her second in Winchester. The streets were always a muddy sloppy gray, though she did enjoy the falling snow clinging onto thatched rooftops. The fluffier flakes seeming to be almost crystalline when the light shines just right.

Her favorite was spring. She missed the smell of rain and blooming flowers. Skys so blue you'd think you imagined it, but most of all she missed the tall blades of grass just outside the stone walls. It was soft, and the most vibrant green. She'd never experienced that rich of green in her prior homes. Florence's brain stilled at the thought. Her past home's. She's only had one true home, and to refer to that hell as anything other than such was a sin to her all on its own.

Though her mind was somewhere else Florence kept her pace steady. She'd lived in the village long enough to where even if she wasn't paying attention, the path to her abode was muscle memory. Her mind was blank as she walked to the far side of town, successfully shutting out her prior thoughts.

Florence made it to her front door, her hand stilling next to the braided rope fastened to the wood as a familiar voice filled her ears.

"Good morning, Miss Florence. Up a bit early are we?" Beocca greeted.