An Invite

October 1969

Chrissie sat in her apartment, her brunette hair tied up in a messy bun, working on a paper for college.

I think I'm gonna be sad

I think it's today yeah

The girl that's driving me mad

Is going away, yeah

Ticket to Ride was playing on the record player. She always loved the Beatles, mostly because she always associated them with good memories. The first record she ever bought was A Hard Day's Night, and she met Jo at one of their concerts. Jo was Chrissie's best friend and roommate. Even though they were total opposites with Jo being an extrovert who loved to go out whenever she could and Chrissie being an introvert who would rather stay in and read a book, they got along so well. She was the sister Chrissie never had.

She's got a ticket to ride

But she don't care

Chrissie was getting lost in the song, but she came back to reality when Jo came barging in the apartment with two bags from Biba. She tossed one on the kitchen table and handed the other one to Chrissie.

"Merry Christmas, Chris! Open it!" Jo exclaimed as she sat down next to Chrissie.

"Well, it's not Christmas, but thank you for the nice gift," Chrissie said as she rolled her eyes.

Jo gave Chrissie a playful shove "It's just a joke silly, please open it!"

"Alright, alright," Chrissie said as she opened the beautiful beige bag. Inside was a sleeveless light blue dress with a black swirl pattern on the edges.

"What's this for?" Chrissie questioned as she looked at the dress. It was a beautiful dress, and she couldn't take her eyes off it.

"Well, can't I get a beautiful dress for my best friend just because," Jo said with a smile on her face.

"No," Chrissie teased as she carefully put the dress back in the bag. "In all seriousness, Jo, what's this for?"

"Well," she said, nervous about what Chrissie's response would be, "Roger and his band Smile are opening for Pink Floyd at Imperial College tonight, and he invited me, and I want to invite you because I think you will have fun and I want you to meet Roger. I know you hate going out, Chrissie, but please do this for me. It means a lot."

All Jo had talked about for the past two weeks was Roger Taylor. She talked about him like he was the greatest thing ever to walk the planet. From what Jo had told her he was a blonde-haired, blue-eyed, biology student who was more interested in becoming a famous drummer than a real career. To Chrissie, he seemed like a nice guy, and all she did was stay inside reading historical fiction novels and watching whatever was on television. She loved music, and it wouldn't hurt to get out more.

"If it means that much to you...I will go." Chrissie said in a hesitating tone.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!" Jo exclaimed as she tackled Chrissie into a big bear hug. "Well, I had another gift for you in case I had to convince you more."

"Really? Well, now I feel bad because you have gotten me two things, and I haven't gotten you anything," Chrissie pouted.

"No, really, you agreeing to go out with me to see Rog and his band was more than I could ask for," she said as she gave Chrissie another bag. "You're gonna love this one!"

Chrissie opened the second bag and took out something she had wanted since it came out. In her hand, she held the new Abbey Road album.

"Oh my gosh, Jo, thank you so so much!" Chrissie said as she gave her friend a huge hug.

"Well, are you going to leave it in the sleeve? Go put it on!" Jo excitedly said as she got off the couch.

Chrissie put on the record on the machine and immediately Come Together came on. They started to dance together, as Chrissie began to forget that she was going out tonight.

He say I know you, you know me

One thing I can tell you is

You got to be free

Come together, right now

Over me