Chapter 40 - Improvised Plans

Chapter 40 – Improvised Plans

Their mode of transportation was a large black SUV. It was a popular transportation method for most gang bosses. It was classy. This one seemed particularly unique, and Alex assumed it was probably also bullet proof.

“That’s got to be Ortega.” Brett murmured from beside Alex. “Ortega really likes black SUVs.”

Black SUV? Hadn’t the car that attacked Kelsey way back when outside the shoe store been a black SUV? Had Ortega orchestrated that whole event and Alex had been falsely blaming Rocha for it? This wasn’t the time to think about that.

“Why isn’t Rocha here yet?” Alex asked, panic filling his chest. What-if scenarios buzzed through his mind. What if Rocha didn’t show?

“Probably on his way.” Brett said, peering through his binoculars. “It’s practically confirmed that they’re meeting here today, and if one of them is here, then the other will arrive shortly. That’s a fact.”

“It’s an assumption.” Alex clarified. “I mean this could be Rocha’s intricate plan to lull Ortega into meeting him and then blow up the whole warehouse.” In fact, it really was possible that this was what Rocha was planning. Why hadn’t he thought of it sooner? Oh right, he was too busy sharing his not-love story with Brett.

“But a lot of Rocha’s men are here, too.” Brett said, trying to back up his information with facts. “If he tries something extreme to kill Ortega, then his people die, too.”

“Sacrifices are a way of life in this part of L.A. It’s like a game of chess.” Alex said. “Sometimes, you sacrifice some low level pieces in order to ultimately win the game. I’m ninety percent sure that’s what Rocha is planning. He’s brilliant, you know. He’s planned this whole thing somehow. I just know it.”

“You’ve been following him for a long time, haven’t you?” Brett asked.

“Two years.” Alex confirmed. “I was never able to fully focus on him, of course. I mean, I had other cases to handle before. We’ve never been so close. It’s like I can see myself taking those cuffs and locking it around his wrists. It’s almost surreal.” Alex shook his head. “I sound perverted.”

Brett laughed, and then quickly covered up the sound. Once he was done, he was grinning. “That sounded wrong on so many levels, man.”

Alex stayed mum. He didn’t want to make any comments that could be manipulated.

“How long have we been patrolling the area? I mean, when did the first person arrive here and when did the watch start?” Alex asked, instead. Teasing and joking around was fine, but this was a horrible time to do it. Alex needed to make sure that all his attention was focused on the case. They hadn’t had an opportunity like this for a really long time.

“It’s been several hours, now.” Brett admitted. “I guess we started watch around eleven.”

“So no one was here in the morning?”

“We didn’t have official information that early.” Brett responded, a bit warily. “Why?”

Alex shook his head. “I have a feeling that we’re missing something. Something big and important. Ortega’s here, but Rocha isn’t. Rocha isn’t tardy. He’s very punctual. As far as I know, he doesn’t make mistakes. He should already be here.” Alex said. “What if he went inside in disguise?”