Chapter 24: Spirited Away

After the confrontation with my dad, I decided to spend the night at Derek's. We didn't bring up anything about mates or sparks or soulmates or were-creatures of any kind. We just relaxed, cuddling into each other and enjoying the closeness. The rest could wait. Isaac was sleeping soundly in his room, his even heart beat a calming lullaby. Isaac is okay and happy, my dad knows I'm a werefox and that I'm dating Derek, and he's okay with it. Everything's okay. I faded off to sleep in the arms of my sour wolf, completely content.

I woke with a start in the early hours of the morning, feeling the absence of Derek in my bones. Something is wrong. Something is very wrong. My heart beat rose as I flicked on the light and scanned the room. I didn't see him anywhere. I moved to the hall, tripping over my own feet as I headed to search the bathroom. Nothing. I took the stairs three at a time and crashed into the dark downstairs of the loft. I was frantically searching when I heard Isaac coming down the stairs. He was saying something but I couldn't hear him over my own panicked thoughts. Derek's not here. He didn't just go for a walk or something. I felt wrong. I could feel that something was amiss. I turned to look at Isaac, fear all over my face.

"Isaac! Isaac he's gone! Derek's gone!" I said, alarm filling my voice.

"Stiles, relax. Maybe he's just gone for a run," he tried to reassure me.

I shook my head violently, "No, no. He was taken. Someone took him!"

I paced back and forth as I scrambled for my phone, dialing Scott's number before it even left my pocket. He picked up on the third ring, despite it being 3am.

"Stiles?" He asked sleepily, alarm in his voice too.

"Scott he's gone. Derek's gone. Someone took him, he's gone," I rambled in fear. My entire body was shaking and I vaguely registered Isaac pulling me into his arms.

"Stiles, shhh... Stiles, are you sure?" He asked seriously.

"Yes, yes I'm sure. He was taken. Someone took him. He's gone," I said, my tongue tripping over the words.

"I'm on my way," he said simply, and I heard the roar of his bike starting as he hung up the phone.

I sagged into Isaac, the phone falling from my hand. He caught it, and then me, holding me against him. My breaths were coming out in ragged bursts and I knew I was going to have a panic attack. Derek's missing. My Derek, is gone. He could be hurt, or being tortured, or dead. He could be dead. I couldn't breathe. I shook my head, no. I would know if he was dead. I would feel it. Scott must have come into the room, because I smelled the familiar scent of chocolate, cinnamon and springtime. I was numb, but registered that I was now in his arms instead of Isaacs. My vision was blurred as I tried to focus on what was in front of me, but I couldn't. My body was filled with dread and I couldn't hear or see anything.

"STILES!" I heard the roar of my alpha and it immediately snapped me out of it, my eyes glowing orange as I regarded the red ones directly in front of me. He sighed with relief and pulled me against his chest again, nuzzling into my neck and nipping my skin. "Stiles, you're okay. Just breathe okay? Just breathe," he said calmly. Isaac's hand was rubbing my back gently and Scott held me tightly. I stirred, gently removing myself.

"I'm- I'm okay. I'm okay. We just need to find him," I said blandly. Scott still looked concerned, but he nodded, going into alpha mode.

"Isaac, stay with Stiles. I'm going to search the loft, try and catch a scent. I already called the others and they're on their way here." He started up the stairs, eyes glowing red and nose in the air.

Isaac guided me to the couch and sat me down in his lap as he pulled me against his chest and stroked my hair gently. I closed my eyes and let the scent of French vanilla, wood and pepper flood my brain like a haze. It clouded my thoughts and I relaxed a little. I vaguely heard the sound of the loft door opening and closing a few times, and felt the vibrations in Isaac's chest as he explained the situation to the newcomers. I ignored it all, focusing on the warm body wrapped around me comfortingly. I was broken out of my numbed state by Deaton, gently shaking my shoulder.