NINE

Holly stood up, rubbing her arm. "I need to clean up a bit, first," she said awkwardly. She could tell she was a walking disaster. "Don't try leaving without me."

"I would if I could!" Dean called after her as she stepped into her bedroom.

Holly pulled up to the bathroom mirror, blinking at her ghostly reflection. Her face was pretty banged up. Aside from the bandage on the side of her head, the skin on her face was cut up with tiny scratches and bruises. There was a giant bruise on her arm, and as she peeled back her dress, which was also cut up, she found a bloody, black mark on her stomach where the vampire had nabbed her. She groaned.

Turning the tap on, she grabbed a few towels. She splashed water on her face, feeling the cool moisture run off her skin. Her makeup was splattered all over her cheeks, and she scrubbed it off with a cloth. After that, she washed all of her cuts and placed a couple of bandages over the gash in her side. It stung bad, especially after she splashed peroxide on it.

She needed new clothes. Holly picked at what was left of her dress, sighing. It had been one of her favorites. Fucking vampire.

Leaving the bathroom, Holly dug through her closet, searching for something that would take some wear and tear; something that would be easy to move in. She grabbed a tight black long sleeved shirt, and slipped on some comfortable jeans. Pausing by her dresser, she saw her purse.

Digging through it, she grabbed her lucky pentacle charm, hooking it around her neck. It glowed beneath her collar-bone as she stared in the mirror. She looked pretty haggard, but what did it matter anyways? She was going on a Hunt. With Hunters that weren't exactly on friendly terms with her kind.

Holly slipped her hands in her pockets, gazing around her room. Would this be the last time she saw it? The vampire's words echoed in her head, taunting her. I came back to finish the job. 

She swallowed hard, focusing on the drawings of Sam and Dean on her wall. There were a bunch of them, she realized — shadows in the distance, menacing figures with guns and knives. Somehow, her witch consciousness had been trying to tell her that they were coming. If only she had known that this would be the result of it. 

"Holly?" Sam's voice came through the door, along with a soft knock. "Are you alright?"

Why did he care? she thought, pausing with her hand on the doorknob.

She opened the door, and brushed past him. "Let's go."

"Right," Sam said, following her out her front door. Holly turned to lock it. Dean was waiting outside, looking anxious. "Finally," he said. Holly raised an eyebrow at him. He held up his hands, as if to say, "Peace."

Sam looked between the two of them, his eyes glowing in the hallway lighting. Holly realized he was a good head taller than her, and it made her feel even more intimidated by his presence, though it was numbed by the comfort she felt at Dean's closeness. It kind of gave her the creeps, the need to be near him. 

Okay, it did give her the full-on creeps.

"Holly, before we get started, did you...did you see anything suspicious yesterday? Maybe you saw the vampire somewhere in town? We don't have much leads on where this thing keeps its nest, as a matter of fact, it's pretty much a ghost to us. But we do know," Sam hesitated, "that it has its eye on you."

Holly rested her hand on the wooden ledge of the wall. She thought back to her cemetery visit the day before. Her neck prickled.

"What is it?" Dean asked, frowning.