Chapter 5

MICHAEL

The first thing on the agenda provided by my new bodyguard is to call the police, something I'm not looking forward to.

I can still remember the look on the faces of the two officers who have taken my initial statement when this mess just started.

The barely concealed mirth at my predicament, so obvious in their half-smirks, mixed with judgment.

I could almost hear the thoughts running through their minds; poor rich boy, afraid of a little girl.

For them, I was just that, a pussy, who instead of taking the advantage of the situation and enjoying that some hot girl was obsessed with me, had run crying to the police.

But, the logical part of my brain, the one that will always be lawyer-wired, knows that the best and most legal course of action would be to make a chain of evidence in case something more drastic than a hanged blow-up doll occurs.

So, I call them and they come, thankfully not the same ones as the last time, but a pair of female officers, who are much more professional than their colleagues.

I give them all of the letters and then take them to the garage. They take photos of the scene and collect the evidence to take to the station for processing before taking my statement.

"How long have you been in a relationship with this person? Ms. Kira Logan?" the older of the pair asks me, while the other one takes the evidence bags to their car.

"About a month, maybe a bit longer." I say while taking the kettle and pouring the hot water over the teabag in the green mug that's my favorite.

"And what was the nature of this relationship?"

I place the mugs at the coffee table between us before taking a seat at the armchair and taking a sip of my tea, burning my tongue in the process.

"Hot..." I mumble, my eyes watering and face flushing, especially when I notice Niklas standing near the window behind the officer and looking at me. His face is as smooth as stone, expressionless, but his eyes, his eyes are laughing at my clumsiness.

And just like that, I'm angry, hot boiling anger coursing through my veins, unlike anything I've experienced before, until I'm clutching the mug so tightly that I'm surprised it doesn't burst from the force of it. Nik is laughing at me, I know that he is, and for some inexplicable reason the fact irks me.

"Mr. Jones?" I hear the officer's voice, making me blink as the rage dissipates as quickly as it had appeared.

Nik is still looking at me, one puzzled brow now hitched up in question.

I avert my eyes quickly, feeling confused and agitated under the man's unrelenting gaze, as I try to remember what was the question.

"We were in a consensual dominant/submissive relationship."

"And what does that mean?" she asks without even looking up, her hand scribbling furiously at the big notepad in front of her.

I take another sip of my tea, slowly this time since my tongue still smarts from the burn, as beads of sweat start collecting at the back of my neck.

What is wrong with me?

I think, feeling completely out of sorts, as the urge to snap at Niklas grows stronger.

Why does he keep staring at me?

I take a big breath, in an effort to calm down, feeling ridiculous for losing control so completely. I'm the master of control, a Master Dom, so this kind of behavior is an embarrassment.

"I was the Dominant in the relationship and Kira was the Submissive. There are various types of these relationships in the BDSM world, from occasional ventures to 24/7 thing."

"I am of the bedroom only type, which means that I only practice BDSM in the confines of my bedroom or my kink club."

The questions continue for half an hour more, ranging from when I've started to practice BDSM to everything related to Kira's and my relationship until I start to feel like a bug being observed under a microscope.

Once the officer interviewing me declares that she has everything she needs is the best moment of that horrible day. I can't wait to have them out of my house, feeling like I'm unable to breathe with their constant questions and invasion of privacy, making me more uncomfortable than I could ever remember being.

But in all of my haste to get rid of the nosy officers, I've completely forgotten that there is one other person there, one that won't be going anywhere, anytime soon.

I sigh as I close the door behind the two women, closing my eyes for a moment to compose myself long enough to show Niklas the room that will be his for the duration of his stay. After that, I console myself, I will crawl into my bed and sleep the rest of the day off.

Encouraged by the plan, I go back into the living room, finding Niklas exactly where I left him, standing next to the window. Back straight, hands behind his back, legs slightly apart as if he's waiting for a general to give him orders, and not standing in the middle of my living room.

He's looking through the window instead of me for a change, something I feel eternally grateful for since something about the man's eyes makes me uncomfortable.

"Do you want to see your room?" I ask while collecting the empty cups of tea and bringing them to the kitchen sink.

I need to wash that.

I think absently, unable to remember when was the last time I washed the dishes, and already thinking about calling my housekeeper to come back, but dismissing the thought almost instantly. The poor woman had been so shaken up by that wretched doll; she deserves a one-year vacation and not just a measly one-week.

"Okay."

There is suddenly a voice close to my ear making me jump in fright. I turn around, clutching my rapidly beating heart, to find Niklas standing so close that I can practically smell his aftershave.

Damn, he's quiet!

I think while taking a step back, only to hit my head on the kitchen counter.

"Shit." I let out a curse, clutching my throbbing head.

"Are you okay?" Nik asks, coming closer, his face losing its cool composure for just a second and his hand raising as if wanting to touch me before it falls and he steps away, the mask firmly back in place.

"I'm okay. Just a bump."

Nik nods but continues to watch me closely for a second as if wanting to make sure that I'm not about to faint or something before he steps away and motions for me to guide him toward his new room.

We climb up the stairs to the second floor where the guest room I've managed to make presentable is located. The room is spacious and airy, with two arched windows letting the light in, something that I suspect Nik will like judging by the amount of time the man has spent glued to the one in the living room.

There is a four-poster bed in the middle of the room with lush green beddings and a dozen pillows of various colors, and just the sight of it reminds me of how exhausted I am.

"The bathroom is across the hall and next to it is my room. Make yourself at home, you know where the kitchen is if you're hungry. I'm sorry, but since my housekeeper is away at the moment, you'll need to make your own meal, or we can order in later."

Nik nods again, andsteps in, before making his way to one of the windows, and isn't that asurprise, so I let him be and make my way to my room, falling face-first intothe bed as soon as I get there.