Mrs. Erickson

Markus's POV
I followed her out the back door and into the backyard.
"How do you know where you're going?" I asked.
Recognizing that she walked around like this was her house.
"No one really know because we don't hang out as much anymore but, my parents have been friends with Jesse's parents since before we were born, so I used to spend a lot of time here as a kid." She replied still walking down the stone path, heading towards the forest that stood at the very end of their backyard.
I smiled at the sight of her hand in mine, having her a few steps ahead, dragging me along to follow her. I let out a laugh.
"You're not gonna kill me are you?" I asked.
She looked back at me and let out the most adorable laugh.
"No, we're almost there. Don't be such a baby."
I chuckled at her response. I had just met her yet it felt as if our souls had always known each other.
"And we are here!"
I was too wrapped up in my own thoughts of her that I didn't realize the beautiful scenery in front of me. A white gazebo in the middle of the forest, filled with twinkle lights and at least four lanterns. In the middle was an art easel with a landscape blank canvas. Beside it was, what looked like an old suitcase filled with paint and paint brushes. The gazebo had more light then the house did. I heard Oaklyn giggle. I looked at her to find her already starring at me.
"Beautiful, isn't it?" She asked as she started walking closer to the gazebo.
I nodded.
"Yes."
But it wasn't the gazebo that I was looking at, it was the way her face glowed as she talked about it.
"Jesse's mom put this out here when I was eight. I was having some home problems and her and I love to paint so, she put it out here to remind me that even In hard times, we can still have good moments."
I saw her smile as she said the last part, which in return made me smile. She sat down at the little stool in front of the easel and I rested on the railing of the gazebo.
"Paint something for me."
She looked at me and laughed.
"Like what?" She asked.
"Something beautiful."
She looked unsure of what to paint. Until she finally picked up a brush and began to paint.
"So, is this what the real Oaklyn Reyes does?" I asked.
She looked at me with a puzzled expression, yet she never stopped painting.
"What do you mean?"
I looked up at the moon trying to think of a way to put it.
"I mean, I've only been here for a day and in that time I have heard that you love to party, go out with your friends, go shopping, and are always posting the best photos on every social media platform. In the short time I've been here, I have heard a million and one things about you... and none of them were that you like to paint."
I heard her snort at my response. What broke my heart was the emotion in her eyes as she looked down. But, as quickly as it appeared, that's how quickly it disappeared.
"Well, sometimes things aren't always what they seem."
I was going to ask her what she meant but she was too quick.
"So, what about you Markus Riker? In the short time you've been here the only thing I've heard next to nothing about you."
I smiled.
"What do you want to know beautiful?"
I was expecting her to say something about the nickname, but she didn't. In fact I saw her smile.
"Anything and everything."
I took a second to think before responding.
"Well, You know my name. I moved here with some of my friends as transfer students, right now I am living with my dad, I'm an only child, my favourite colour is blue, my favourite food is probably tacos, and I've played football since I was eight."
She smiled.
"My favourite colour is blue too."
I smiled.

After what felt like an hour she told me she was done and I could look.
It was beautiful.

"Wow

"Wow." I breathed out.
"Is it okay? I added the blue, but I can do a different one another time if you don't-"
I was now kneeling down next to her. I took her face in my hands to get her to stop rambling.
"I love it."
She smiled.
I smiled.
"We should probably go back... wouldn't want to ruin my reputation."
She sighed and stood up. I nodded.
We began to walk back towards the house and I realized that this moment was going to come to an end. We sneaked back into the party and in a matter of seconds Oaklyn's friend Ally I think her name was, wrapped her arms around Oaklynn and said a few drunk slurs about where she had been.
"I should go and find the others." She said.
"Okay, I'll see you around?" I asked my voice full of desperation.
She smiled.
I smiled.
"Maybe."
With that she started to walk away but, I didn't miss when she looked back at me, as my eyes never left her.
She smiled.
I smiled.
************************************************
I do NOT own any of the photos in this chapter.
Please don't forget to vote❤️
-J.R