Ch. 3 Volleyball Team

~Warning~ Final image contains a minor spoiler at the beginning of season 2, but it's nothing to sweat about.

Seung-Jun's PoV

I squinted my eyes to adjust to the sunlight on this cloudless day. Nishinoya, Tanaka, and I left class about a minute ago and now we're making our way to the gym. I haven't actually been on school ground before today, so having them show me the way was helpful. I notified the school's dance team that I may be a tad late to practice today, not that they'd mind. They know I have my moves down pat - from the leg work to facial expressions. 

I sneeze from behind my medical mask and sniffled. It was the common cold so nothing that warranted attention, so please Nishinoya, don't glance at me with a guilty expression. I gave him a smile to remind him that it was alright. 

We arrived at a pair of double doors. Beyond them were the sounds balls bouncing around. It was almost nostalgic from the days I played volleyball with a few friends. 

"Sounds like a few of our guys already started!" Tanaka laughed before he exuberantly kicked open the gym doors.

As soon as they swung open, I heard someone shout "Stray ball!" before a volleyball came flying straight to my face. Time seemed to slow down; Nishinoya looked ready to fling his body forward to receive the ball, but before he could, my left hand shot out from reflex and caught it. The wind from the rebound was enough to blow my fringe slightly back. Wow, whoever smacked this ball put in a little too much force. 

Shorty stared at me in shock while Tanaka shouted at the three people who were already in the gym.

"Hinata!" he exclaimed, "Where do you think you're aiming?" 

Another shorty with orange hair looked apologetic and started bowing profusely, "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to receive it that way!"

A guy with silver hair shook his head and clicked his tongue, "He's slowly improving on it. Stray balls happen in volleyball all the time. Just be glad you didn't knock off the vice principle's toupee again." I watched as little Orange go pale and couldn't hold back from laughing a hearty laugh. The sound of my voice rang off the walls and made all eyes turn towards me.

"Hello, who are you?" asked a guy with a man bun.

"Asahi!" shouted Nishinoya after he shook himself out of his stupor, "this is Zhang Seung-Jun. He's gonna hang with us before practice starts so let's play a quick game with him." he grinned brightly, seemingly full of energy. He must be really excited to play. 

"Will he be ok? Isn't he sick?" asked Silver Hair as he walked up to examine me. He kinda reminded me of my own mother.

I nodded, "This is nothing, I'll be fine."

"Hi, Seung-Jun! I'm Shōyō Hinata by the way." Orange said as he ran up to me.

I chuckled at his bubbliness, "Nice to meet you, Shorty 2.0." 

Shorty number 1 simply shook his head to himself while Shorty 2.0 looked confused for a split second before he laughed in understanding. "I may be short, but I can fly! Just watch me when we play." I assume that was a metaphor referencing the school's name: crows. From the look in his eyes, I took his word for it.

"Ah, I'm Kōshi Sugawara." waved the Silver Hair. He had a sort of mature aura to him - must be a third year.

"And I'm guessing you're Asahi." I referred to Man Bun as I tossed the ball in my hand towards him.

He nodded, albeit timidly, "Um, yes, I'm ah, Asahi Azumane." he sheepishly scratched the back of his head. 

I looked down at Nishinoya and cocked an eyebrow, "Your friend is a timid fella, eh?" I asked him in a low voice.