KNOCK, KNOCK

CHAPTER 5

HOLDING the brown paper bag in one hand, June used the other to knock on the door. After the soft foot falls on the other side, the door opened.

"Good morning." She greeted with a wide smile.

On the hand, Diana blinked her eyes a few times before touching her face. She is indeed wearing the pair of the black rimmed glasses she owned.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, disregarding the rude tone she used.

"I brought breakfast."

Her eyes turned to the brown paper that woman raised in front of her.

She opened the door wider. The tall woman marched inside her small unit. She tried to straightened the knot in her hair as well as her pajamas.

It's eight in the morning. It is quite early for her on a Sunday.

She followed June as they moved towards the kitchen.

Her place is a one-room apartment. The living room is only a few steps away from the kitchen. Instead of a dining table, there is a island table beside the stove and the sink.

The unit is quite small but enough for someone who lives alone.

Diana sat on the chair beside the island as June opened the brown bag. The smell of pancake assaulted her nose buds.

Her eyes looked up when a paper cup was put beside her hand. The taller woman beamed at her.

"I hope you like hot chocolate."

She smiled back. "Thank you."

June sat at the chair opposite hers. It is a blessing that she have two chairs in the apartment.

Her face beamed when she saw the food in front of her. On the table laid pancakes, hash brown and bacons.

"Bon appétit, peu belle."

"Merci pour la nourriture."

June chuckled. "I must admit that the extent of my French has ended with belle."

There was no hint of embarrassment nor a hint of blush in the older woman's face upon admission. She carry herself with confidence. Admitting her limitation did not make her less of a woman and she knew it.

She smiled at her before cutting the pancakes into bite size. Silence passed between them. When she raised her eyes, she found June looking at her with affection.

She suddenly felt embarrass. Often, her friends and acquaintances deliberately told her that she is weird. She likes to cut her food into smaller pieces before eating them. In this matter, she will not bother to cut them as she eat. Besides, she wanted to savor the food she eats. Moreover, chewing her food thoroughly will prevent her from indigestion.

Slowly, she put the plastic knife down. She eat a piece of pancake and look away to cover her discomfort.

"You're cute."

"Thanks."

Surprises were after her this early morn. June continue cutting the pancakes, hash browns and bacons into bite sizes like she did awhile ago.

"Dig in, little girl."

Light atmosphere surround them as they continue their breakfast. She also learned that June was on indefinite leave from her job. Though she did not disclose what she does for a leaving.

"School is about to start soon." June started as they carry on their conversation in the living room.

The breakfast that the taller woman brought was gone before they knew it as they exchange banter. It came as a surprised since the food was more than enough for two.

Diana put her feet up and embraced her arms in her knees while June stretched her legs under the coffee table.

"Did you go to school from around here?"

"No."

The older woman focus her gray eyes on her. Frown smeared her beautiful but strong face. The gray eyes darkened when she did elaborate.

"Where? Are you going to move?"

"I'm not moving."

"You did not enroll?" She shook her head in respond. " Why? Is it about money?"

She sent her a smile. The older woman seemed worried with her answers.

"I have work." She added.

"Don't you want to go back to school? University life is quite demanding but it's worth it."

"Maybe someday. I want to get as far away from doing thesis at the moment." She simply said. "how about you? Are you going back to work?"

"Soon. My alp--, I mean, my boss is demanding me to return."

"you must be great at what you do."

June smiled at her. She never go into detail nor lift herself.

"Can I fetch you from work tomorrow?" The tall woman asked totally changing the subject.

"If you're not busy."

"I'm not."

June grinned at her. She returned it and glanced at the woman.

The tall woman is looking at her, too. Again, she see the warmth in her eyes.

Personally, in June's presence she felt calm. This rarely happened since she is not comfortable with people. Most of the time, she is surrounded by people older than her. If not, she is with her lonesome self at work.

She did not know how June beingthere made her restlessness disappear. Maybe because the older woman saved herlife. That alone made her felt safe a;ready