GIRL'S FRIENDS 3

“You look beautiful today,” he whispered.

Lizzy clenched her fists.  She knew exactly what he saw - the poor friend of his future wife in the dress that Bianca wore a party a month ago in London.

“Not true,” said Lizzie.

She breathed a sigh of relief when the elevator doors swung open, revealing to her gaze a chic hotel hall.  Lizzy took a step forward, but suddenly again felt the touch of his hand on her back.  She froze.

This is unfair.  Why is something ridiculous happening to her constantly in the presence of this man?

- Let's go to?  He nudged her slightly.

Lizzy forced herself to leave the elevator, still feeling his touch.  The first one she saw was Bianchi's mother.  She looked amazing in sparkling diamonds and a black formal dress.

“At last you came, Lizzy,” the woman exclaimed, and headed toward them.  “Luciano,” the lady nodded to her future son-in-law and turned her attention back to Lizzy.  “I need to talk to you, dear.”

“Of course,” she smiled, trying to understand what exactly excited Sophia Moreno.  “What did Bianca do this time?”

“I hope nothing,” Luke said coldly, turning Lizzie's joke into an accusation.

Sofia turned pale.  Lizzy decided to protect her friend, if only for the sake of her mother.  With a naked eye, you could see that Signora Moreno was feeling uncomfortable in the presence of Luke.

“It was just a joke,” Lizzie said sharply.  Too harsh.  Luke removed a hand from her back and leaned over to kiss the future mother-in-law.

“I will leave you,” he muttered and left.  Luke headed for the bar, greeting the guests along the way.  And Lizzy hardly looked away from his neck.

“Honey, tell me what’s going on with Bianca?”  Sophia Moreno asked.  “She's been acting very strange lately, and I can't get a word from her.”  She should already be here, with Luciano, and meet the guests.  And when I went into her room a couple of minutes ago, she was not yet dressed!

“She got a headache after lunch,” Lizzie frowned.  - Perhaps she went to bed and did not calculate the time.

“That explains the crumpled bed,” said the mother.  - Yes, and Bianca looked as if she had just fallen from her.

- Give her a couple of minutes.  If she does not appear, I myself will go after her.

“Given her terrible mood, only you can get the bride in order, dear.”

Me, not the groom?  - Lizzy was surprised to herself, accompanying Signora Moreno to the guests.  After a couple of seconds, she was introduced to cousin Bianchi, whom she had never seen.

Vito was her peer.  And as a true representative of the Moreno family, he was distinguished by an attractive appearance and cheerful brown eyes.

“So you're the same Elizabeth,” he said.  “I heard a lot about you.”

- From whom?  - asked Lizzy.

“From my dear sister, of course,” Vito smiled.  - Bianca said that only you saved her from boredom in England after she had to leave Sydney.

“You're from Australia,” Lizzie guessed.  - Now I recognize the accent.

“I was there an accomplice to all her tricks,” Vito chuckled.

“Ah, are you the same cousin?”  Lizzy laughed.  “Then I heard about you too.”

At that moment, a glass of champagne appeared in front of her, and only then did Lizzie realize that Luke was standing nearby.

“Oh ... thanks,” she muttered.

He only nodded in response, then greeted Vito and left, again plunging Lizzy into a state of confusion.

Time passed, the lobby was filled with guests, and Bianchi was still invisible.

Lizzy looked at Luc de Santis.  He stood apart from everyone and talked on the phone.  By a strict expression on his face, it was safe to say that the conversation was not pleasant.

Maybe he spoke with Bianca?  He must have been angry with her habit of being late.

Get used to it, Lizzy advised him mentally.  Bianca never lived by the clock.  Luke is lucky if she is not late for the wedding.

But the minutes ran, and even Lizzie began to get nervous.  Having caught yet another expressive look of Sophia, she was already heading for the elevator, but its doors opened and the culprit of anxiety appeared in the hall.

Everyone turned to her.  Bianca was dazzlingly beautiful in a golden silk dress.  All that was needed was a crown to complete the image of the princess.

“Sorry for being late,” she sang and smiled charmingly.

“This is my brave girl,” Vito whispered.

Lizzy looked at him, but nothing in the expression on his face told her the reason for such a strange remark.