1

It had all started on a calm day. It was one of those days where the weather was beautiful but nothing of note happens at all. Chances are, if you live in a place with lovely weather, these kinds of days happen all the time. It was one of those days, or at least it was until Limi bolted right into the river and rushed downstream.

"What's going on, Limi?" Nessa exclaimed. "What are you doing?" No answer came, of course. Even if Limi could respond in a way that Nessa could understand, she wouldn't bother. Nessa didn't know quite yet, but this was a matter of life and death. Not for Nessa or Limi, but for another. She (Nessa assumed they were a girl) had wavy red hair, pale skin, and bright aquamarine eyes that seemed to glow from within. Beside her sat Limi, shining with the amount of pride that you would expect from someone who'd just saved a life. Nessa rewarded Limi with an indigo pokéblock and a scritch on the head.

"Who's a pretty girl?" Nessa said to Limi, before realizing something.

"Wait a minute, I should probably introduce myself to this girl you just saved," Nessa mused aloud. "Hi. My name is Nessa, and I'm a Water-type trainer. What's your name?"

"S-s- My name is Sonia," the girl stuttered. "W-w-what are you doing here?"

"I was just taking a walk on the route when Limi ran over here. I'm not sure how, but I think she could tell that you were drowning," Nessa calmly stated. "What are you doing here?"

"O-oh, I was just heading to Turffield to challenge Milo," stuttered Sonia. "Have you already challenged him?"

It was at this point that Nessa zoned out. Eventually, she remembered that she hadn't answered Sonia's question and dully responded "yes", sounding more scarred than she intended.

"I-i-I'm sorry - I know that you're a water trainer - I wasn't thinking - I can help you rematch him. . ." Sonia descended into a quiet whimper. Nessa was very overwhelmed by all this, of course, and hardly heard her say "W-well, bye!" and walk off. It was at this point that Nessa decided that it was time to go home.