Chapter 1

I sat beside May's dead body with the feeling of loneliness filling my body. I didn't know what to do. I felt lost. Everyone in my life was gone before I even graduated high school. Well, almost everyone.

"Ready to go, kid?" Mr. Stark asked, placing his hand on my shoulder. I looked up at him with sad eyes.

"Okay." I responded, standing up. Tony was taking me in to live with him and Mrs. Potts in the Avengers Tower. I would normally be head over heels excited, but I couldn't feel any emotion but absolute emptiness.

"We can stay if you want to." Tony suggested kindly, but I shut that idea down. I didn't really want to stay with May's body anymore.

"No. It's fine. I want to go." I sighed. I followed him out of the hospital and to his Audi. He drove slower than usual, and I wanted nothing more than to go back to May and I's apartment and sleep off this awful dream.

"Pepper has your room ready when you get there." Mr. Stark told me.

"You didn't have to do that. I can just sleep on the couch." I said quietly.

"Kid, it's fine. We had an extra room. You're not a burden." Tony looked at me with a smile. I returned the smile sadly, and we drove the rest of the way in silence.

I had been to the Avengers Tower many times, and I even had my own personal voice password to get inside. 

"ID, please?" Friday, the AI asked.

"Peter Parker picked a pack of pickled peppers." I said, blushing with embarrassment. I obviously didn't come up with that one, it was all Mr. Stark.

The doors opened, and I stepped inside. Pepper was sitting on the couch, watching a rom-com and eating Ramen noodles. She looked up at me with a very sympathetic look and got up to give me a hug.

I melted in her arms and started crying. Tony watched from the doorway awkwardly. He wasn't very affectionate.

"It's okay, honey." Pepper cooed, stroking my hair. "We already have all your things from the apartment here."

I nodded and sobbed. We stood like that for a long time, and it did make me feel a little better.

"Do you want to see your room?" Pepper asked kindly, and I pulled away from her and nodded. Even though I was 15, I felt like a six year old. The woman led me to a room on the second floor that had blue walls with planets, a blanket with equations all over it, a TV, a desk with a computer, and my own bathroom.

"You didn't have to do all of this, Mrs. Potts." I said, looking around the room in awe.

"Yes, we did. If you're going to live here, you should like it." She smiled. "And just call me Pepper."

"Okay." I said. "I think I'll just go to sleep."

"Alright. Goodnight, Peter." Ms. Potts said, kissing me on the forehead. We were very familiar with each other, of course, because Mr. Stark was my mentor and I was over a lot.

Tony and Pepper left the room and closed the door. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and tried to turn it on, but it wouldn't work. I thought that maybe it was just dead, so I plugged it in and turned on the TV.

"You do not have access to this device right now." Friday's voice said. 

"Why?" I asked.

"Mr. Stark has restricted it. It will be restricted every night at 8:00." 

I sighed. I'd been through a lot and felt I deserved to watch a little bit of TV. I figured that the same thing had happened with my phone, and computer.

I went to my closet and pulled on pajama pants and a large t-shirt that used to be Mr. Stark's. I crawled into bed and asked Friday to turn off the lights.

I wasn't used to such a cushiony bed and comforter, so it took me a long time to fall asleep. When I did fall asleep, though, I slept until 7:00 PM.