Chapter Thirty-Five

Classes were starting soon and I still needed to settle in. I picked up all my books in the morning, but I still needed some furniture. The last two nights I had slept on the floor with a rolled up towel as my pillow while using another towel as a blanket. It reminded me of earlier times when I was broke. I managed to save up a little money over the past few years, but not much, just a couple thousand dollars. I was relying heavily on my student loans to get me through the next three years. 

Just outside my building was a small drugstore where I bought a bunch of cleaning supplies and some groceries. On my way out, I inserted a quarter into the payphone and dialed the number to my only friend.  

"Hey, Steve, I'm sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you could let me know where your uncle's furniture store is?" 

"Where are you?" he asked. 

"I'm at the drugstore payphone." 

He laughed a little, and then said, "Okay, why don't you come up to my apartment and wait for me while I get ready, and then we can go together?" 

"Alright thanks, I'll be there in a minute." 

When I entered Steve's apartment for the first time, I was completely blown away. He lived by himself in a large two-bedroom apartment. The first thing I noticed was his elaborate entertainment system."  

"Wow, this is a nice place, man. It's almost three times the size of my place." 

"Thanks. Wait until you see the view." 

I walked across the dark polished hardwood floor, toward the large window. The curtains were open, revealing the entire campus. A small telescope was set up, pointing down to the Student Union Building. I peered into it and saw a bunch of scurrying students. 

"Is this the penthouse?" I asked, looking up at the fifteen-foot high ceiling. 

"It's one of them. There are four units on the top floor." 

"You want the grand tour?" 

"Sure." 

The living room was equipped with an array of high-end electronics including a 60" TV, surround-sound speakers built into his walls, and a massive catalogue of movies. He had a large sectional sofa with a simple glass coffee table and a stylish area rug underneath it. I followed him through the living room to a large sliding glass door. He slid the door open to reveal a beautiful patio that was larger than my entire apartment. The patio housed a large hot tub, basketball hoop, a sun tanning area, and a flower garden. 

"Check this out," he said, as he showed off his prize possession. "I had this installed a few months ago." 

The L shaped bar was completely stocked and fully functional. It was custom made out of stone and had a built-in barbeque, mini-fridge, sink, and dishwasher. 

"Come on inside, I'll show you the rest." 

Steve led me back inside, through the living room, passed the kitchen, down the hall, and into his office. One of the walls in his office had a colorful abstract painting in the centre of it with two bookshelves on opposite sides. In the centre of the office was a large executive desk with three monitors mounted to a single base. 

"What's with all the monitors?" I asked. 

"Oh, I need them for trading."  

"Trading?" I asked. 

"Yeah, I trade equities." 

"What does that mean?" 

"Oh sorry, I trade stocks."