chapter seventeen

Dwayne Clement's POV

"They say unexpected person will come into our life and like a stamp, they will leave a mark."

It had been eleven years, three blocks down the street from our house, tucked between the little coffee shop and a four-star hotel. It's the hospital which serves a lot of people, including the children, middle ages and the oldies. It looked so dull and plain but surprisingly enough, only a few spent times, I first met a gray eyed girl in a slightly ajar door at one of those children's wards.

I gazed towards her ward. White tiled ceilings were there and the floating shelves which supported the minimalist design, having a wall clock at the middle of the room. I smelled the lavender scented fume as I peeked from the opened door. There was a mid-century modern delight in contemporary style while having patterns which added personality into the atmosphere.

Why is my room not like this?  Biased. 

"But I don't want that medicine! Stay away from me!" a girl screamed, then she threw her teddy bear off her.

I do not know whether to be intimidated or intrigued. She looked young and carefree. But I am certain she was a spoiled brat. I straightened my gaze at her, trying to study her features and actions. "Elizabeth!"

I saw her grandfather massage his temples as he smiled at the nurse as if apologizing because of her.

"I'm sorry." He held his finger up to her neck, pressed his lips as they walked towards the door, passing me as they stopped near the window.

"I'll take care of this," he said, gazing at me momentarily and added, "Where are we again?"

I think that she was the same age as me. She rested her chin into her palm. Her eyes were so gray as ash, I could barely see through her mind. I was taken aback when she looked at me, making the lollipop on my hands fell. I snatched it up.

She peered at me as I looked up. I waved my hand as a greeting, then smiled at her.

"What are you doing here?" She sat down at her hospital bed, scanning me as she leaned forward, crossing her arms causing me to avert my eyes to nowhere in particular. She grabbed her pandan stick o placed on the wooden table.

I moved steps towards her, at her front, my heart on a speed-racing as my cheeks were on fire. I followed her movements, she grabbed her alcohol and sanitized her hand before she offered me her stick o.

"Do you want some?" she said, extending her hands as she pursed her lips together.

I waited, believing for a moment that she will introduce herself. But she does not.

"You can get" – she said as she looked at me, counting her fingers and continued – "three. Before I change my mind." Her freckles in her cheeks showed up as smile curved into her lips.