Ella's Ambition

Sitting at the center square of Weston our group gathered after getting Laura some food. The area is filled with happy people enjoying the festival with the exception of  my father. "That dirty scumbag." He growls as I just finish telling him what happened to Tim.  

"Scumbags since his sons are traitors also" Rachel corrected right next to us reminding us of Cody's and Matthew's involvement.

"I still cannot believe that the Walkers did this "Father perplexes. "They had everything in Weston why throw it away."

"Whatever their reasons where I'm happy I don't have to marry Matthew now." Mel  celebrates in happiness missing the disturbed expressions she's receiving ..  To think of an engagement being canceled is heartless when talking about treason from a trusted ally.  Clueless of the animosity she is getting Mel continues her celebration by flirting with Alek. "Now that I am a free woman again, who'll be my next lover." She hints and  Alek didn't seem bothered by my sister's conduct. 

Instead, he's taking advantage of her willingness to please him. "I am sure I can arrange something but I'm a little perch. Can you get me some lemonade"  Alek  asks?

"Of Course," Mel volunteers sashaying away making sure Alek was watching. The lemonade stand is a couple yards away and it had a long line. Alek gazes at Mel with mild amusement that Mel ate up. Shaking my head at the pair I can't help but be confused by this development. 

Deciding to take a break from their drama I turn to see my mother glaring at Laura. Scowling I can't see a reason why until I notice my friend is sitting directly next to King Louis. Knowing Ella she probably planned on Mel being the one to enticed the king not Laura.

"King Louis, I'm sorry  about what happened between Tim and his family. " Ella declares  moving forward to be by the king's side forcing Laura out of her seat. Once that occurs I see my mother grin at seeing Laura's retreating form.

"Rude" Laura mutters moving to another seat.

"The Walker matter needed to be addressed, and I'm glad I was able to help Weston." Louis answers giving Laura a pointed look before he adds. "Even though some people here have strong opinions of me ignoring the village for so long." At that remark Laura only rolled her eyes making the king grin.

"Hogwash. " Ella protests missing Louis grinning at Laura. "That's ridiculous I bet you had too much work to do in the capital."  

At that comment King Louis looked generally thoughtful." Yes I have been busy since taking the throne and that's why I am here at the Princess Festival. I want to find a wife that can shoulder the burden with me and be my partner." He confesses in a sincere voice  that made me realize how many struggles this young king has to carry. Maybe that's why  he is so interested in Laura she's  an ideal match. Not only does she have knowledge on policies and treaties something that the king can use in the future. Her reputation would also be an added bonus at his side.

Everyone else must be thinking similar thoughts but one person. " My daughter Melissa would be the perfect choice for you." Ella proposes  shocking us all by her words. " She's good with people and is very kind." Ella lies earning a snort from me and giggles from Rachel.  

That fib wasn't even believable to the king. Who previously witness my sister's uncaring nature when talking about her engagement. "Oh, really? Can she negotiate treaties and counsel our people in crisis" Louis  questions pointedly?

"Of course not,  Melissa knows her place is in the household not doing men's work." Ella disputes looking offended that Louis proposed such a thing.

"That's the wife I require and if we are speaking on this matter alone. Laura is a better choice than your daughter" Louis declares.

"Its not right  a woman's place is at home tending to family." Ella argues with the king. " No respectful girl would travel  around  getting into men's business. " Ella preaches throwing an obvious insult at Laura who only laughed it off.