Chapter 10: Survivor Perk

Shuichi Saihara's P.O.V

         What does Kaede want to talk about? ...Maybe that, but I'm not too sure yet.

I was waiting near Kaede's dorm room as I waited for her to get ready. We were going to execute the plan today, and even though I had done this before, I was still nervous.

As I waited, I realized I really haven't gotten that close to anyone other than Kaede. I should probably start spending time with more people. I should find time to do that. Well, I could also do that when we escape. Kaede walked out of her dorm, interrupting my train of thought.

"Good morning Saihara! So is it okay if I ask you the question later today? I feel like right now we should focus on the plan to make sure it won't fail!" Kaede spoke out with excitement.

"Of course. That's completely fine with me. We'll get started right after breakfast."

Kaede nodded at my reply and we headed to the dining hall once again.

When we arrived, a few people were already there. Rantaro, Kaito, Angie, and Gonta to name a few.

"Hey Saihara, I heard that you had a panic attack yesterday. Are you doing okay?" Rantaro inquired.

"Yeah, I'm feeling better now. It's nothing to worry about."

"Oh don't say that! All of us were worried sick! We can't lose one of our friends just like that!" Kaito chimed in.

They consider me as one of their friends already? It warmed my heart a little bit to see that people were worried about me.

We headed to the kitchen and served ourselves. I didn't serve myself much since I wanted to finish eating fast. Plus, I wasn't really hungry.

We sat down with them and had small conversations as we ate. Kaede looked at my plate and looked somewhat concerned.

"Saihara, are you not hungry?"

"I just don't feel like eating much, but I'm fine," I reassured her.

"I hope you're not starving yourself..." Kaede muttered.

It surprised me a little bit that she even noticed...Maybe it's just obvious and I'm overthinking it.

I finished and got up to wash my plate, and Kaede followed behind.

"So where will we place the first few cameras?" Kaede asked.

"Hmm...I would say maybe the girl's restroom since it is probably a more secluded spot to get into the room than the library." I realized that what I said sounded somewhat wrong out of context, and my face started to flush. "Uhh, w-well you'll do that since I shouldn't go in there."

"Saihara, we've been over this. It's fine since I know you won't do that type of stuff. Plus, it's important for you to be there since the mastermind could show up while we're setting up."

"But what if someone else walks in?" I pointed out.

We stayed in silence for a few minutes.

"Let's just hope it doesn't come to that," Kaede finally responds with an awkward smile.
.
.
.

We went into the restroom to place the cameras. We placed one in the entrance of the storage room, one in the hallway, and finally one in front of the masterminds room door. After doing that, we headed to the library next. There, we saw... Rantaro!? He was opening the hidden door in the library.

"RANTARO!? What are you doing!?" Kaede exclaimed.

She was in complete disbelief in what she saw.

Kaede Akamatsu's P.O.V

I couldn't believe it. Rantaro Amami, a friend I had grown to trust, was the mastermind. I didn't notice at first, but I was shaking. I was scared, angry, and heartbroken.

"A-Akamatsu, Saihara! It's not what it looks like!"

"Then would you mind explaining what the hell you're doing?" I snapped.

I wasn't one to quickly blame others, but this situation was different. We had to use whatever evidence we had. Plus, I would be lying if I didn't think Rantaro was suspicious from the beginning. He didn't know what his talent was, never really got too close to anyone, and overall just had slightly suspicious behavior.

I looked at Shuichi to see if he would add something, and his face was completely calm. Why isn't he also shocked? Maybe he just has to be like that as a detective?

"I-I just came across this door, and it opened up. I went to investigate. I'm not the mastermind, believe me," Rantaro defended.

I noticed he was holding something that looked similar to a monopad, but it looked slightly bigger.

"Amami, what is the thing you're carrying?" Shuichi questioned.

"It's my monopad, why?"

"Amami, that's not a monopad. Please answer us honestly. Lying just makes you more suspicious."

Shuichi Saihara's P.O.V

What is Rantaro doing here? Wait! He's probably investigating because of the Survivor Perk. I know he's not the mastermind, so it's probably just that. Kaede, on the other hand, probably thinks otherwise.

Rantaro was explaining himself but still hasn't mentioned it. He doesn't trust us yet. I asked him about the item he was holding, which I'm guessing is the Survivor Perk.

"It's my monopad, why?"

It's not. He's lying. I don't want Kaede to be misled, thinking he's the mastermind. It might result in...that happening again.

I told him to be honest with us. I want him to be able to trust us. That was one of the things that I regretted. Rantaro not telling us about something as important as this.

After a bit of silence, Rantaro gave in.

"...It's something called a Survivor Perk. It was given to me at the start. The Survivor Perk has a map of the entire academy and has given me a few clues about the mastermind. I didn't say anything about this becau- AKAMATSU LOOK OUT!" Rantaro shouted out.

Then I saw it. A shot put ball, falling towards Kaede!