Chapter 26: Promise

Shuichi Saihara's P.O.V

I went to Kaede's lab. I had a feeling that she would most likely be in there. 

As I got closer to her lab, I heard a faint melody being played. When I reached her door, I slowly opened it, trying to not interrupt her playing.

I entered the room quietly and closed the door behind me. Her playing continued for a little bit before it abruptly stopped.

"I know you're here Saihara."

Kaede moved her hands from the piano to her lap. Her facial expression was hidden by her hair, so I had to go off of her tone of voice and body language alone.

"O-Oh um, are you okay Akamatsu? I came here to check up on you after that situation."

She stayed silent, her posture stiffening up. I still couldn't see her face, but I noticed a few droplets on the keys just below her head.

"Akamatsu..."

I went closer to her to see tears slowly drip down her face and hear muffled sobs.

"...I'm so sorry Saihara. I'm causing issues for you, and I couldn't even control my own emotions. The worst part is that what Iruma said was right. If it weren't for you, I would be a murderer. If I still had murderous intentions, wouldn't that still make me guilty? I shouldn't just be let go like that so easily."

I couldn't stand to see her in such a terrible state. I sat down next to her and made eye contact. I wiped the remaining tears from her face.

"Akamatsu, you aren't causing any issues for me or anyone else. Sadly, people like Miu and Kokichi are still going to be assholes regardless. Try not to take their comments personally. As for you being a potential murderer, there's a difference between doing it out of cold blood and selfish reasons than trying to get rid of the biggest threat who could harm us. Your intentions were completely different from those of a murderer."

"Of course, I would say trying to murder a mastermind without having a solid lead isn't the best idea, but you had a time limit to do so. You were rushed, so you had to think of something fast. But, again, your intentions are what prevent me from hating you for attempted murder."

Kaede quickly pulled me into another tight embrace, which threw me off-guard. I collected myself before I eventually hugged her back. I felt her heartbeat slow down, indicating that she was calming down.

"What would I do without you Saihara..?"

"I don't know, but hopefully you'll never have to worry about that anytime soon. I'm not going anywhere, and that's a promise."

Kaede eventually let go and gave out an awkward laugh.

"I cry way too much around you. It must get tiring after a while," Kaede commented.

"Of course not. I don't mind it one bit. Plus, I already know that you can get pretty emotional easily, so I know what to expect."

Kaede gave me a grateful smile.

I got up from the bench. "How about we go to Miu's place for an apology? I think you need one since that was pretty cruel of her to do what she did."

"...Sure, but you're coming with me. I prefer to at least be humiliated with you than by myself."

"Deal."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

We went back to the dining hall to see if Miu was still there. She was, along with Kokichi and Keebo. They were bickering about something inaudible, but it still concerned us all the same.

"CUM DUMPSTER WHORE!"

"YOU LITTLE FUCKING ABORTION!"

"Iruma and Oma, please stop!"

Kaede and I audibly sigh. This was going to be a long day.

.

.

.

We managed to eventually break them up with the help of Keebo. Kaede and I were too emotionally exhausted to deal with Miu any longer, so we decided to just forget about that apology.

Kaede and I just decided to hang out around the courtyard to pass the time.

"I can't wait to get out of here! I want to be able to hang out with you normally instead of sitting around just because we're trapped here." Kaede slumped against a tree.

"I know what you mean. But who knows how long we'll be in here for..."

"Hopefully not for long! We'll figure something out!" Kaede exclaimed enthusiastically.

Her smile was contagious, and I ended up wearing a smile the whole time I was with her. I had a lot of fun with her walking around the courtyard and talking about whatever came to mind.

I just hope that I'll be able to see that smile for a long time.