Chapter Three: Lila's Birthday

It had been three weeks into the school year when Hazel was invited to Lila's birthday party. It wasn't like Hazel hadn't expected it, Lila and her had been good friends for a while now. Hazel was looking forward to it. The party was on a Saturday. Hazel and her mom had bought a gift that they thought Lila would like, and were on their way now. For some reason Hazel felt uneasy about the party.

"Mom, do you think you could stay at the party while I'm there?"

Her mom looked at Hazel in a confused way, "Why, Hazel? Are you alright?" Hazel bit her lip as her mom turned to the left.

"I just feel a little nervous about the food there, what if I had an allergic reaction?" She admitted.

"You won't." Her mother assured, "I called Lila's mom, and she made sure all the snacks were nut free." Hazel sighed, she told herself, it's safe. You won't have a reaction. Then Hazel realized it was the first time she had been to Lila's house, and something in the back of her brain said, of course they haven't gotten rid of all the nuts in their house just for you, they probably had peanut butter for breakfast. Hazel tried to tell herself she would be safe, but the thought rung a horrible truth to it.

Her mom pulled into Lila's driveway and Hazel saw Lila in the house at the window. Lila then rushed out the door to come greet Hazel.

"Yay!! You're here!! I couldn't wait for you to get here! Come in!" Hazel's mother handed her the present and then got back in the blue minivan. Hazel watched her mother pull out of the driveway mouthing, You'll be okay.

Will I? The thought whispered.

"Come on!" Lila broke the tension, she grabbed Hazel's arm and yanked her into the house. Lila's family had a really nice house, the kitchen walls were painted light blue, the counters were black marble, and an Island in the middle of all of it had a bright violet birthday cake on it. There were a couple girls seated in the chairs around the island, and Lila's mother was cooking something at the stove. "Mom! Hazel's here!!" Lila's mom looked up from her pan and she grinned.

"Good to see you Hazel! Glad you could make it, I'm Mrs. Cook." They shook hands. "Lila, introduce Hazel to the girls." Lila hopped over to the island table and the two girls sitting there turned their heads to size up Hazel.

"Skylah, Evelynn, this is Hazel!" Lila exclaimed. Hazel realized how energetic Lila was, that was one of the traits Hazel liked about her. Hazel wished she could be that outgoing. SEE. Lila will be super careful, she will never let me get hurt! Hazel said to the fear voice in her brain. All she got in reply was an ominous silence.

"I'm Skylah." A girl with brown hair and green eyes thrust out her hand to Hazel. Hazel took it, Skylah smiled.

"Annnnnd, you know who I am." Said the girl who Lila called Evelynn. Who had blazing white hair and blue eyes.

"Alright ladies, it's time to start the games!" Lila's mother said and pointed to a sheet of paper set up on the table. The party had started. First they did a scavenger hunt, which Evelynn won. Then they played pin the tail on the donkey, Lila rocked that one. "Happy birthday to you!" they sang, "Happy birthday Lila!" Then the cake was lit and Hazel smelled the smoke from the candles. Mrs.Cook also brought out the pizza from the stove and set it on the island.

Look in that cupboard up there.

The voice said, Hazel looked up and saw a jar of peanut butter. A shiver went down Hazel's spine and she froze. All she could do was look around her.
Everyone had started eating, and chatting as normal. Taking another glance at the cupboard, Hazel decided she didn't feel very hungry.

"Ummm, where is the bathroom?" Hazel asked.

Mrs. Cook swallowed her pizza and replied, "Down the hall to the left."

Hazel strode to the bathroom and washed her hands, then washed them again. What am I going to do?? I have to eat, don't I? She thought. Not with that peanut butter there, there could be cross contamination and there could be nuts anywhere... Hazel sighed, the thought still rung with truth even if it was a fear thought. Let's plan an escape, maybe through the window? Or you could fight your way out?

"Are you okay?" Mrs. Cook was standing by the hallway.

"I-I was scared." Hazel admitted, "I saw peanut butter and I got scared."
Hazel thought Mrs. Cook was going to scold her, but instead she just said,

"Do you know how to deal with them?" Hazel stopped and thought about what Mrs. Cook had said.

"Them?" She questioned.

"Well the worry monsters of course. Not a real monster, that tiny voice in the back if your head that tells you worries. Also known as, anxiety" Mrs. Cook said.

"Oh, them? Umm no.." Hazel stammered.

"Well, I can teach you a trick right now: focus on the facts. I need you to do some deep breathing though, you can't rationally think when you're in fight or flight." And as if she had read Hazel's thoughts, "That means panic mode." She said with a smile. Hazel took four deep breaths, in and out. "There, now here are the facts: Fact one: We know that the nuts can't hurt you through a glass wall. Fact two: Your mom told me that you have to specifically EAT the food to have an allergic reaction."

Hazel thought for a moment, those two facts were true. She had truth behind her. TAKE THAT, WORRY MONSTER!! I am safe. The facts prove it.
"Are you ready to come join the party again?" Mrs. Cook said. "I knew you could face them."

Hazel hesitated, she let out a sigh of relief and said, "Yes, let's do it."
And they did.