CHAPTER TWELVE | "you just bruised my ego"

chapter twelve | "you just bruised my ego"

༄༄༄

The five Pogues crawled out of the hen house a couple minutes after the truck drove away even though the were still rattled from what had happened. They were all quiet as they processed the situation they were in. Kie still clutched onto Lenah, replaying the moment of JJ and the rooster. She had a soft spot for that animal.

Pope was the first to break the silence in the air. "Are we not going to acknowledge how we almost died... again!?"

"Or how I had to kill Clucky?" JJ chimed in.

"Who's Clucky?" asked Kie, her voice cracking even though she knew the answer to her question.

"The... rooster I had to kill," his voice trailed off in the end. Kie shook her head disapprovingly at the boy. She wanted to get the image out of her head and JJ talking about what he did wasn't helping.

Lenah noticed Kie's discomfort so she tried to change the topic. "John B, do you need help cleaning up?" she asked, looking at her friend who was staring at the ground.

"No, it's fine. Can you guys go?"

"You sure, JB? I mean, they wrecked your place and Big John's office," Lenah said.

"No, no, I need to think. Just meet me back here in two hours. I'll have everything sorted out by then." With that, John B disappeared inside his house, leaving the others confused.

"Um... I'm gonna head back. Bet Pops has some work for me to do," said Pope and then he was gone. Now it was just the three of them.

It was silent as they all looked at each other. However, Kie kept looking away towards the driveway. Lenah got the hint. "Kie, just go," she sighed to her best friend.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, it's just JJ. It's not like you're leaving me here with Satan or something."

"He's a close second," she said as she started walking away. "Don't you dare give her your Juul, JJ, I swear!"

Once Kie left, it was silent between the two best friends until JJ said, "So, do you wanna..."

"Go surfing?" the two said at the same time. A small smile creeped up on JJ's face as well as Lenah's. The two knew each other so well. The pair ran around to the backyard where they grabbed their surfboards from JB's shed. Lenah's was a 7 foot funboard. One side was complete black while the other side was outlined in an aqua to dark blue gradient. Towards the top right of the board, Lenah's initials, LD, were printed. Her dad gifted her the board on her 13th birthday. At the time, Lenah had no idea how her dad had managed to buy her a board and on top of that, get it customized. He said he spent all of his savings to get it for her. Since he died, Lenah kept the board at the Chateau because her mom didn't want anything in the house to remind her of her dad.