Chapter Three

The next morning when i woke up i was enveloped in warmth. I went to pull the blankets a little closer and slide my hand across the fabric. I tugged but nothing moved.
I opened my eyes to see what i was tugging on was Luke's shirt.
Oh no.
I was laying against his side, my head between his shoulder and chest using him as a pillow. His left arm was wrapped around my waist, the other laying across my arm.
I was trapped.
"Fuck.." i muttered.
This was a very compromising situation. Part of me wanted to curl back into him and fall asleep but the other part knew this was wrong.
I wiggled a little bit in hopes of waking him up. His breathing hitched a little bit. It was working. I squirmed again and this time he yawned. Luke opened his eyes and they widened when he saw our position.
His cheeks flared and he turned his head and coughed to hide his embarrassment.
"Umm..." I giggled.
"Yea..." he laughed.
"Sorry." i ducked my head.
"It's fine." he smiled.
The door opened behind me and Calum walked in, his expression startled when he saw Luke and I. "Woah, mate sorry!" He blinked before turning to walk out.
"This is going to take some explaining." I laughed. I slid my arm off Luke's chest and he unwound his from my waist so we could get up. I followed him downstairs and to the kitchen where we walked in on Calum telling the other guys what he had walked in on.
"Calum it's not what you think." Luke stated.
"We were talking and fell asleep, thats all." I added.
"Sure." Michael exaggerated.
I rolled my eyes. "Seriously."
"Okay, okay." Calum said defensively before turning away chuckling.
Luke flashed me an apologetic smile before making himself some food.
-
I spent my morning chatting with the lads (more like convincing them Luke and I hadn't slept together in the sexual way).
After lunch Luke decided to take me to the store to buy me a cell phone.
We took the car and arrived at the little shop in the downtown district. It was overcast outside and a little windy.
Luke opened the car door for me and then walked me into the shop. He picked out an extravagant phone.
"Luke, no. Just something simple." I shook my head.
"Are you sure?" he asked, placing the expensive phone down.
"Yes I'm sure." I said, crossing my arms in front of my chest.
"Alright." He nodded and i helped him pick out a phone that would send calls and texts and take photos. He paid for the phone and met me by the front door.
"While we're out, lets do some shopping." He suggested.
"You know just because I'm a girl doesn't mean i automatically like shopping." i pointed out.
Luke was at a loss for words. He opened and closed his mouth like a fish.
"I'm kidding Luke." i laughed.
He blushed before we walked down to a street of stores.
I was looking down at my feet when i bumped into someone. "Oh I'm sorry!" I said looking up to see a tall man. He was wearing a tan coat and matching hat.
"S' alright miss." he smiled before walking away.
Something about his smile creeped me out.
I side stepped towards Luke and continued walking with him, forgetting about what happened. When we arrived at the first store,Luke bought me some new skinny jeans. He even carried the bag like a gentleman (more like i said i would carry it and he took it from me).
We walked to the next store and i picked out some shirts. While Luke was waiting in line to pay i looked in a mirror at some sunglasses i was trying on. Out of the corner of my eye i saw a tan coat. I blinked and moved my head to the side in the mirror so i could get a better view. The man i had bumped into was leaning against a telephone booth, facing the general direction of the store.
I took off the sunglasses and went to stand next to Luke, maybe a little closer than i should have.
When we left the store i made sure to walk close to him. I didn't turn around to see if the man was following me because i wasn't sure if i was just being paranoid and i didn't want to seem suspicious.
We came upon another store that sold shoes and Luke held the door for me as we walked in.
"You need some new vans." he pointed to the ones on my feet that were basically falling apart. "Black right?" he double checked before finding a salesman.
"Size 7." i told the salesman and he went to get the shoes. I sat next to Luke on a sofa while we waited. I glanced sideways and saw the same man sitting on a bench outside the store.
What was he? Some kind of detective? A cop?
I decided i should warn Luke.
"Luke..." i said quietly.
"Yes?"
"Do you see that man outside on the bench in the tan coat and hat? That was the man i ran into earlier and he's been following us."
Luke took a sideways glance at him. "Lets go home then."
He stood up to find the salesman and a few minutes later came back with a bag.
"Come on." I said. He stepped in front of me protectively, leading me out of the shop and back the way we came. After a few minutes of walking Luke nonchalantly looked to the side to see if he was still on our trail.
"He's following us alright." Luke muttered.
I knew how to handle being followed. I'd been in many situations like this unfortunately.
"When we get to the next alley we are going to turn and run."
He nodded hesitantly, anxiety taking over his face.
We were approaching the alley.
"Now." I said and we both bolted in to the alley.
"Left!" I shouted at him, turning my head to see the man running after us. "Faster Luke."
We took a left and sped up. I could see the street with our car on it in front of us.
I turned to see the man just now turning the corner. We made a mad dash for the alley exit and turned right towards the car. Luke hit the window with his fist and the driver unlocked the doors.
I pushed Luke into the car and jumped in after, slamming my door shut.
We were breathing heavily. The driver pulled away from the curb and drove back in the direction of the house, giving us a wild look.
"Did you know that guy?" Luke managed to get out between gulps of air.
My heart had already slowed down and i was breathing normally again, i was used to running.
"No."
"Why don you think he was following us?" He breathed again.
"I don't know" I looked away.
-
When we got back to the house Luke took my new phone out of the box and set it up for me. He put in his number and had the other guys put their number in it as well.
"Now you have my number in case you ever need me." He said, placing the phone back in my hand.
"Thanks" i smiled before going upstairs to shower and change.
After my shower i went to Luke's room to sleep. Luke was already in bed.I crawled into my floor pallet before a question came to my mind.
"Luke?"
"Yes?"
"Um can i sleep in your bed with you?" I asked, biting my lip in regret of asking. "Wait sorry, i shouldn't have asked you that." I tried to back track.
"October it's fine, yes you can." He scooted over in the bed.
I crawled into the bed and wrapped the blanket around myself. I shivered from my newfound warmth.
"Why did you runaway?" he asked quietly.
"...I don't want to talk about it..." i whispered.
"Was it really that bad?" he trailed off. "Bad enough for you to live on the streets instead?"
I nodded.
"Don't take it personally Luke, I shut everybody out."
It got quiet again.
I wasn't good with words but actions were a different story. I moved closer to Luke, laying my head on his arm. He knew what i was getting at and turned on his side, laying his opposite arm across me.
"Why do you shut everyone out?" Luke asked into the darkness.
"Because, if you don't let people in then you don't have to let them go." I whispered back.