TEN

The police called me this morning to come down and identify Esme's body from Colby Mortuary. It was weird to see her laying on the metal slab, but also to know I put her there gave me satisfaction. 

The whole meeting took around an hour before Lucas was called back to the station and bail was revoked. 

Apparently the man at the shop had remembered seeing Lucas stalk me just like he was suppose to and an older lady said she saw Lucas around the school at the time of the murder. Poor boy didn't stand a chance. 

Lizzy didn't speak to me the whole time I was there, but she wasn't so keen on the whole situation anyway. 

Now, however, I'm in the backyard playing checkers with Elliot while Evie sleeps on my lap. Mother and Father have probably been called which means they'll be back soon. 

That's when he shows up.

"What's up everyone?" JJ greeted as he walked around the side of the house. 

"Hi, JJ." Elliot said excitedly. "Can we play LEGO's again?" 

JJ opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off. "JJ will play with you later. For right now please take Evie inside and go play." I dismissed him. "JJ and I have to talk." 

"We do?" JJ asked confused. 

I rolled my eyes. "Now, Eli, please." 

Elliot gently took Evie from me and went inside. 

"What's going on, Jeremiah?" I stood, crossing my arms over my chest. "You don't call like you said you would then I find out you don't even live where you said you did so what the heck is happening?" 

JJ reached out a hand to cup my face tenderly. "Calm, Lena, you know I got you." He said soothingly. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you were I lived, but my father would be irate if he were to see you." He kissed my forehead. "Don't be mad." 

"What about your phone?" I was slowly melting into his touch, his voice was almost intoxicating. 

"I broke it." He answered. "So badly that it won't work anymore, baby, I would never turn on you. I love you."

I nodded after a moment then leaned up to kiss him. The kiss only lasted a few seconds, but it was all I needed to know everything was okay. 

"Why would you doubt me?" He inquired, his hands falling from my face. 

"No reason, love." I shook my head. 

"Let's go play with Eli before he throws a fit." JJ suggested, taking my hand. 

"I like that idea." 

This one conversation had sealed everything I needed to know about JJ. I didn't need a book to tell me anything about him.