Chapter 2

"This isn't how I like my eggs!" Victoria barks. "I said over easy! Take it away and get it right this time!"

"Y-Yes. Right away," the waitress says, grabbing the plate before disappearing into the back.

Fidgeting in the intimate booth for two, Victoria huffs; shoves the salt cellar with such force that it slides clear across the table.

She's staring out the window with a frown when Nathan slips into the booth opposite her.

He has a twinkle in his eye, a wide wolfish grin, and a twitch about him.

And he's sniffing every five seconds.

Victoria's gaze narrows. "I thought I told you not to come here tweaking?" she quietly spits across the table.

It's an extension of an unapologetic shrug – the way Nathan lifts both hands, palms faced up. "You know how it goes, sis."

Victoria sighs, drags her hand across her forehead before letting it flop to the table listless. "I told you to come with a clear head – that this was important!"

Nathan grins wider. "If it's so important get to it then, right?"

He's the younger brother Victoria never thought she wanted, related not by blood but by money, prestige, neglectful parents, and crushing social pressure.

She gets it. Why he's always high. She might be too, but she's learned to deal with the carnage inside through other means.

A new plate of food meets the table with a soft clink. This time the eggs are over easy and there's three extra slices of bacon.

"I-I hope you're satisfied with your meal this time, miss."

"We'll see," Victoria tells the waitress, who seems dazed and rooted to the spot. "Uh, run along now."

"Y-Yes. I'm sorry. Enjoy."

And that's how Victoria self-medicates.

Nathan giggles into his loose fist watching the woman hurry back into the kitchen. "She definitely spit in your food."

"Please," Victoria dismisses. "Like she could even muster any, how dry her mouth was."

"Trrrusky."

"Really Nathan? Trusky?"

"Eat your food and stop being a hater."

Victoria does the opposite, pushing the plate aside. She's not hungry anymore. She's nervous about having this conversation.

"Remember the carnival two months ago?"

Nathan snags a bacon slice from Victoria's plate, figures that if she's not gonna eat he might as well. He stuffs his mouth, chewing in wide jaw snaps. "You mean our trip down to the zoo that is Aurora Creek?" he corrects her with a mean smile. "How could I forget?"

"Just making sure. All the shit you do it's a miracle you remember anything."

"If you want me to stop alls you gotta do is ask," Nathan sing-songs.

Victoria rolls her eyes, because she's lost count of the many times she's told Nathan to stop putting all that shit in his body.

She glances around the almost empty diner to make sure nobody's eavesdropping, catches the eye of an ornery trucker-type who's mid coffee sip.

He sends her a lewd wink.

She glares at him.

He winks again, but ultimately goes back to reading his paper.