Chapter 1

Pic of Evie

"Evie!"

"Evie!"

I look up from my my painting. My twin sister, Selena, was running across the ballroom with a sheet of paper in her hand.

"Look!" She exclaimed. "We can register for the Selection!"

Oh no.

I let out a small sigh through my nose.

"The Selection!" Selena exclaimed again.

"I know, I heard you the first time," I deadpan.

My twin sister, is a little Alex-Crazy. And by a little, I mean A LOT. 

Prince Alexander, heir to the throne, son of King Maxon and Queen America, has a lot of admirers. If you listen and memorize Prince Alex's every word, have posters of him on your bedroom walls, constantly daydream about him, or all of the above, you've probably gone Alex-Crazy.

My sister has.

"OMG, Evie, we have to enter," she said, squealing and dancing around the room.

I, on the other hand, grimaced at the idea of living inside the palace.

Before Queen America removed the caste system, my family and I lived a comfortable life. We were Twos but we were also kind to the other castes. We helped host food drive, donated money, and even sometimes helped babysit.

Now, we had to stay inside at all time because if we went outside, people would throw food at us, mock us, and sometimes even try to injure us.

Although the castes were removed, every one still uses them to address other castes.

For example, a six can get a job as a teacher, but people will still recognize them as a six. Ever since the castes were "removed", the lower casts have been trying to take over. Because Queen America was a Five, the Fives have been unofficially declared the "leader" of the castes.

This wasn't Queen America's fault, she was trying to make everyone's status equal, but the Fives had other ideas.

"Evie, please, will you enter with me?"

I gave her a sad smile. "Lena, we can't even walk to the post office to mail it, how would we survive the selection?"

"Well... it's the prince who decides who stays or not sooooooo," she said stretching out the o, "As long as I win the prince's heart, none of the other girls can force me out," she said with a wink.

Although Selena and I are twins, she seems seems way older than me. In reality, she's just 6 minutes and 8 seconds older, but she looks 2 years older. We're both sixteen but she could totally pass for an eighteen year old.

Part (most) of the reason why is that Lena loves makeup.

Like LOVES makeup. 

We rarely go out of the house but she insists on having the perfect look every day. 

Every.

Single.

Day.

Its kinda annoying. 

I can't stand the feeling of all that paint on my face so I NEVER wear makeup. 

It drives Lena crazy.

"Well, you can enter," I say, "I am defiantly not entering."

"Come on," she says rolling her eyes, "It'll be fun."

"Yeah, no."

I return my focus to the painting. Now that there were no castes, Anyone could have any hobby or job. I enjoyed painting, dancing, and playing flute.

"Fine," she said, "you'll change your mind sooner or later." With a hmph, she stomped out of the ballroom, probably to go annoy our older brothers, Tyler and Rowan.

I looked at my painting again and I suddenly lost the motivation to paint. I set down my paintbrush and walked back to my room.

There was no way Lena could ever convince me to enter the Selection.