Chapter 2

It's been a week since Lena asked me to enter for the Selection. Honestly, I'm surprised that she didn't ask me again. I guess she took the hint that I really din't want to join the Selection.

Which is very un-Lena-like.

"Evie!"

Oh no.

I was in the ballroom again, painting of course, when, to my surprise, Tyler walked in. I thought it would be Lena, coming to pester me about the Selection.

"Um hey, what's up?" I asked putting down my paint brush.

Tyler is my oldest brother, four years older than me. Rowan, my other brother is three years older than me.

"Nothing," he said, taking a seat at one of the many coaches in the large ballroom.

I gave him a look that said sure-I-totally-believe-you.

"Okay, well I was just wondering," he said, trailing off, "How do you spell your real name?"

I made a face. I did not see that one coming.

"Why?" I asked, although I was a little disappointed that he didn't know.

"Just curious," he said with a shrug.

"Evangeline, E-V-A-N-G-E-L-I-N-E."

"Great, thanks!"

That was weird.

******

It was The Night. And everyone in Illea would be watching. What makes This Night so special? The Selected will be anounced.

******

"Good evening Illea!"

Our entire family, me, Lena, Rowan, Tyler, and dad were all in the vast living room. Lena had somehow convinced us to all come and watch the girls get selected.

A man came onstage with the fakest grin I've ever seen. I think his name is Gabriel or Garlic or something like that.

I started daydreaming and thinking about my newest painting as Gabriel-Garlic drowned on and on about the Selection.

"OMG, there he is!"

Lena was jumping up and down and squealing. I could tell she was the only one who was actually paying attention. Well no, it seemed like Tyler was also watching.

Since when did Tyler enjoy watching this kind of stuff?

Lena squealed again and I glanced at the TV.

Prince Alexander was onscreen along with Mr. G-something.

"...competition the girls will not have their previous castes reveal, for the sake of their own privacy."

There are no previous records of anyone's cast so I guess we'll never know.

I started to daydream again and when I came back to reality, G-guy was already starting to call names.

"...of Carolina.

Juliette Parker of Hudson.

Bella Hunter of Midston.

Nina King of Columbia.

Evangeline Brekker of Anglels."

Wait what.

I looked up just in time to see my picture flash onscreen.

The room was silent except for Garcia's voice onscreen, like the calm before the storm.

Then suddenly,

RING, RING, RING

All the phones in the house started ringing.

I opened my mouth but nothing came out.

"W-w-what?" I stuttered.

Everyone was staring at me.

"Haha" I laughed nervously, "Wow that's a funny prank guys, I actually fell for it."

I started to get up but Lena suddenly jumped up.

"OMG, Evie," she said. "You're in the Selection!"