Welcome to New York

It was a long train ride. Twenty-four hours had already passed and yet six more were to come. I had sketched in my leather bound sketchbook for half the ride, growing bored and started on reading Shakespeare's Macbeth. I liked it because of the blood, murder and stuff like that, not the poetry. I may look prissy and girly, but I prefer boy stuff. Most of my friends were guys. While my parents were off doing whatever, I'd change into my friends' clothes and we'd go frogging, and exploring in the bayous of New Orleans. One time we even went so far as Avery Island were the Tabasco company was.  

I was pulled out of my reading by my father. He grabbed my mother's hand. "Nell?" I didn't look up from my book. "Yes Pa?" 

"Your mother and I, we've been thinking," he started. I bookmarked my page and placed my book back in my bag. "I'll be busy with work these next few months, and she'll be busy too." I listened intently, I had no idea where this was going, and I wanted to know. My mother sighed, "We where thinking you can find yourself a job. Temporary of course, just for the time being while we're in Manhattan." I couldn't believe it. They were actually trusting me to find myself a job, keep it, and not get into trouble? My father smiled, "We were thinking it could help you learn hard work and loyalty, financial knowledge, for when you inherit the farm," he said. "We were thinking you could be a seamstress, you have a wonderful hand at embroidery." I grinned, "You're actually letting me do this?" I asked, skeptically. They just nodded. I nodded back and stared out the window, imagining having a real job, my own money.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Six hours later we pulled into the Manhattan train station. We exited the train. My mother and father's servants joined us with our luggage. We only brought them and not Margret because my parents thought is was unnecessary and a waste of money to pay for more tickets. Besides, I'm supposed to be learning hard work. 

We arrived at the house we rented (A/N I don't know if you could rent houses in NY in that time so we're just going to assume you could) at about half past eleven. While my parent's servants unpacked us, my parents and I went downtown to a fancy little restaurant for lunch. We sat down and I ordered a simple chicken sandwich and salad. "I must meet with the others in about half an hour," my father said, breaking the silence. "I'll probably be gone until ten so you ladies can do what you wish," he finished, smiling. My mother and I shared a smirk as our food was brought out. We ate in silence. "Well I'm off," my father said, paying the bill. My mother and I waved goodbye to him as we parted ways on the street.

 My mother turned to me. "I saw a sign in front of Irving Hall," she said. "It said Medda Larkson was performing in five minutes." I knew Ms. Larkson. I loved theatrical arts and had heard several of her recordings. Plus she was an old friend of my mother's. I met her about ten years ago when I was six. "Oh, please! I'd love to see her again," I responded excitedly. My mother smiled and we were off in the direction of Irving Hall. 

"Well he's a handsome young man isn't he?" My mother asked, gesturing, as it was rude to point, to a boy about my age, maybe a couple years older, across the street. I studied him. He was wearing a suit, no doubt going to inherit his fair share of money when he's older. He held his head high and spit at a younger boy offering a newspaper to him. I shook my head. I would definitely not choose him. My mother sighed. "You have no interest in any boy I point out to you, you can't say no forever." We walked up to the front of the theater and bought our tickets. Boys were great, as friends. I have never found any interest in a boy, or anyone for that matter, and I didn't plan to for a while, even if I'd be married off in the next few years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The performance was phenomenal. Ms. Larkson had an amazing voice. The crowed cheered as she hit her last high note on the last song. We had been there for the past two hours, clapping, and singing along. My mother and I had the best time when father wasn't around to insist we act like ladies and not embarrass him. 

When the performance was over we went backstage, however a security guard stopped us. "No audience members back here," he told us, ushering us back to the house."I'm an old friend of Medda's," my mother explained. "Eleanor Aldridge, nee Garner." The man shook his head. "I apologize ma'am, but-" He was cut off by a redheaded woman with a Swedish accent. "Eleanor! How lovely for you to stop by! Charles let them through." It was Ms. Larkson. The security guard stepped out of the way, and left. The two women kissed both over each other's cheeks in greeting. "How are you Medda?" my mother asked politely. "Good, good! It's been too long." My mother smiled and nodded. Ms. Larkson looked over and saw me. "Is this? It can't be little baby Nell can it?" She asked in awe. I smiled and kissed both her cheeks as my mother had done. "Wonderful to see you again Ms. Larkson." She laughed. "Please, call me Medda. My, how you've grown!" She turned towards my mother, "You have raised a beautiful young lady." My mother's face beamed with pride. "Please, come! We must catch up on these last few years!" 

We followed her to her private sitting room my mother and I sat on a couch across from Medda. We laughed and talked and enjoyed each other's company but time caught up and soon it was time to go. "It was wonderful seeing you two again," said Medda. "Send my regards to William." My mother nodded and made her way out of the theater. I was about to do the same when Medda grabbed my arm. A smirk played on her face. "You know," she started. "If your mother hasn't already found you a husband, I know quite a handful of handsome young boys." She wiggled her eyebrows and I  laughed, shaking my head. She let go of my arm and I followed my mother back to our temporary home.

A/N - I tried including several things in here to try and not make it too short. I hope you like it! Comment, vote, follow, oh god I'm advertising myself aren't I? I'll stop lol.

I've seen some people do this question of the day thing (QOD?) so I thought I'd do it! Please let me know if I shouldn't

QOD - What's your favorite fandom ship (I love the Newsies ones)? Please tell me who each person is in said ship. Mine is Sprace (Spot Conlon and Racetrack Higgins)

Love ya!

- the_woilds_my_erster