The Goil Newsie

I woke up early. I had out slept both my parents and they were gone, but it was still around five in the morning. I wanted to make sure I caught the newsies before they started work. I put on a simple brown dress and work boots. Or as my parents called them, "play time boots". I let my strawberry blond curls hang loose, without some fancy hair style. I smiled at myself in the mirror. I loved it when I got to dress casual. 

I quickly ran to the square where I first met the boys but it was empty. I looked around, searching for where they could possibly be staying, assuming they didn't live on the streets. My eyes landed on a sign that gave everything away.

NEWSIE LODGING HOUSE 

Bingo.  I ran up to it and raised my fist to knock. Wait, I've got a better idea. I smirked and leaned against the building next to the door. I stood there for about fifteen minutes before I hear the unmistakable sound of a stampede of boys running down the stairs. The door flung open. "Ain't it a fine life-" 

"Boo!" I cut him off. "Ahhhh!" Mush screamed in fear. A crowed of boys grouped around him. When they saw it was just me who scared Mush, they laughed. "A goil has neva scared you'se before Mushy," a boy with an eye patch said, winking at his friend.  Mush shoved him off. "Wait, you'se the 'Orleans goil, ain't you'se?" I smirked. "Ayye, ya actually have a brain ta remember stuff, now is dis da place where I sign up ta be a newsie? Or is there a no goils allowed policy?" I asked, mocking his accent. The group of boys grinned. The boy with the cigar grabbed my arm and dragged me inside. I laughed. "So are ya recruitin' or just abductin' me?" I asked. He just grinned and brought me up the stairs. "Okay newsies! We're abductin' another child," the cigar kid said, playing with what I said before. "Who has some extra clothes she can wear?"  He turned to me. "Or would you rather stay in your dress?" I smiled devilishly. "Screw the dress!" I said. Another boy tossed cigar kid a bundle of clothes. He handed them to me. "Oh by da way, I'se Racetrack, Racetrack Higgins." Ah, so cigar kid  actually has a name. "Nell," I said. "Nell Aldridge. Now where can I change?" 

Racetrack pointed me towards a bathroom and I went to put on the flannel, vest, trousers, and suspenders. I came out and Mush came over and put a cap on my head that most of the newsies were wearing. "There ya go," he said as he put on his own. I shoved my hair into my cap in case we passed my parents. They would kill me for this. No, they would disown me, then hang me in the middle of town. "Okay boy's... and goil, let's go get our papes!" A tall blonde newsie with a red bandanna around his neck yelled. The group cheered. Look at me, I'm a newsie of New York.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N Sorry for the short chapter. I just want certain things in certain places.