Chapter Fifteen

~Eliza's POV~

The facility was crackling with a rising tension. Raven's interrogations had left everyone on edge, and as she began to creep under everyone's skin, the Avengers were slowly turning on each other.

Pietro was silent when I knocked on his door. I'd been isolating myself, trying to wrap my mind around the riddles Raven had told me. I'd asked JARVIS to show me the footage of her interrogations, and had spent days trying to figure out what it meant.

"Hey," I whispered, "how are you feeling?"

He stayed quiet, his jaw grinding as he glared at his lap. "I'm not." He finally spat. "I feel numb. Numb but angry. Why won't they let me find her?"

My heart twisted at his words - I'd felt the same too. I stepped closer into the room, and slowed as I approached his bed. "I think... I think we need to write this down."

He frowned, his eyes finally flicking up to meet mine. I had to stop myself from reacting to the red etches in his eyes and the bags underneath them that made him look ill.

He stood up, and wrapped me tightly in his arms, squeezing me so tight I lost my breath. I clutched his shoulders, holding him to me as we swayed, slightly uneven on our feet.

"I love you." He whispered in my ear. I froze, but he didn't seem to recognise my action as he mumbled softly, "I know it's soon, but I do."

I closed my eyes, and kissed his shoulder as he leant back. He ducked his head down, catching my lips as his arms slid down my back. We stumbled onto the bed, and I gasped as my back hit the blankets.

"Pietro," I murmured, as his lips moved from my mouth to my neck. "We need to think."

"It's the middle of the night my darling," he pulled away, "you haven't left your room for days."

"What?" I peered around his crouched figure settled over me to peer at through his darkened curtains. "I mean... I have-"

"I haven't left my room either," He nipped the skin by ear before rocking back to rest on his knees, "you must have noticed."

"I did notice," I stumbled over my words, "I have left my room for food and stuff... but nobody's around - it's her fault."

Pietro grumbled as I mentioned Raven, and he dropped back down to rest on his forearms, his hair landing around our faces. "Let's just sleep baby, we can fight that bitch tomorrow."

I was about to protest his insult, but he quickly leant down to kiss me again, and I was lost.

"Pietro," I whined, as he laughed into my neck.

"I'm sorry," he lifted his body up, and rolled into his back. His arms manoeuvred me as he moved, and I lay slumped across him. "You're beautiful."

His fingers traced slowly across my face, his eyes lingering over my features as he studied me. "You're so... beautiful."

"What do you want?" I teased, trying to lift the tension that was simmering around us. "That's too many compliments."

"Never enough compliments," he mumbled, "never enough to show just how amazing you are."

I gripped his wrists as he cupped my face, and I slowly lowered my lips down onto his. I was intoxicated, riding the high that Pietro gave me.

My actions caused him to pull me closer, and I slipped down his lap as his fingers grappled with my hair.

"You're pretty," I whispered, leaning back with our foreheads resting against each other.

His eyes were startlingly bright, a smile flickering across his lips. "Am I?"