a sea of whispers

Agatha had known that the second they stepped through the wall to Platform 9 ¾, they'd be surrounded by a sea of whispers. But what she hadn't expected was how much they'd affect her. Her face instinctively flushed crimson when she saw all of the necks craning in their direction. She knew that the pitying glances weren't directed at her, but she still felt the blush creeping onto her neck.

"Did you hear the news?" she heard a stout sixth-year in a fluffy Slytherin scarf mutter to a freckled Gryffindor beside him.

Oh God, she thought.

"Of course I did - everyone did," his friend snapped. "I'm not that clueless, Bogden. I'm pretty sure even the professors know."

"I guess that's understandable, though. I mean, they were Hogwarts' It Couple or whatever. Not surprised everyone heard about their breakup."

Agatha felt Sophie stiffen. She gave her hand a reassuring squeeze and shot a glare in the boys' direction, mentally screaming shut up, shut up, shut UP.

The redhead rolled his eyes at his friend. "Whatever. Anyway, I totally predicted this happening back in third year. The cards never lie..."

"No way! I don't believe you, none of my predictions ever come true. You better show me your cards on the train, Willam." The boys walked off, still bickering.

Agatha exhaled in relief and tightened her grip on Sophie's hand, pulling her through the crowd. The girls walked quickly but could still hear the incessant talking.

"Kiko, I'm devastated!" a brunette Hufflepuff wailed. "If even Sophie can't keep a boyfriend, there's absolutely no hope for me!"

Kiko frowned. "Dot, she's going to hear you!"

"Did Tedros tell you why he did it?" a blonde Gryffindor boy asked his redhead friend.

"No, he never mentioned them having problems. He didn't even tell me about the breakup, Chaddick. I've literally been owling him all summer and he hasn't responded once!"

"Yara, stop freaking out. He's not pissed at you or anything - he's been ignoring me too."

Agatha finally broke free of the clump of students and started to pull Sophie towards the train.

"Agatha, stop!" she said, yanking her hand away. Agatha turned to her blonde friend and saw her eyes were brimming with tears. "I can't do this," she whispered.

"Yes, you can," Agatha said firmly. "Look, I'm really sorry I can't sit with you, but Dovey said us Heads have to go to the Prefect carriage. But I won't just abandon you - I'll help you find Beatrix and the girls first. I promise."

"But what if I see him?" Sophie asked, her eyes frantic. "What am I supposed to say to him? 'Hi Teddy, how was your summer? I spent most of mine crying over you, but I'm sure you had loads of fun with other girls!'"

"If you do, I'll be right here with you. Besides, I doubt you'll see him, our class is massive-"

"Sophie!" a loud voice called. Agatha groaned inwardly. Great. This day couldn't be any worse. The girls turned in its direction and spotted a golden haired Gryffindor dashing towards them. The crowd of students parted for him like the Red Sea.

"Tedros, why haven't you answered any of our owls?" Chaddick asked him, his face creased in annoyance.

"Sorry-- busy--," his friend responded without even turning around. Tedros skidded to a stop in front of the girls, his expression hopeful. Agatha stepped forward, eyes narrowing in anger, but Sophie stuck out her arm to stop her.