Chapter 2

Gigi and I had a hard time sleeping and getting comfortable in our new beds. I laid awake worrying about everything that could go wrong on my first day of school tomorrow. I hadn't attended in-person school in 4 years. I was nervous.

"Your/first/initial, you awake?" Gigi asked.

"Yeah, what's up?" I asked sitting up to see Gigi laying on her new bed and staring at the ceiling.

Gigi turned her head to look at me. "Are you ever gonna tell Fury about the experiment?" Gigi asked.

"I don't know. If the time comes when I must then I will but otherwise I think it's better left unsaid." I explained.

"Okay."

"Why do you ask?" I added.

"I don't want you to be taken away to be tested and controlled like they do to others. You're all I have." Gigi explained with tears forming in her eyes, blurring her vision.

"Don't worry I'm not going anywhere. The only time we'll be apart is when I'm at school." I said to calm Gigi's nerves. With that said we both went to sleep.

6:30 a.m.

I got up took a long overdue shower got dressed in new clothes Fury had provided me with and started exploring my new lab. That was, by the way, in my bedroom. About an hour or so of tinkering I heard a knock on my bedroom door.

"Come in."

"Wow. I didn't think you'd be up." Fury said in a shocked yet proud voice.

"Well, when you live in a shed for 4 years and don't communicate with the outside, you get bored. I always get up a 6:30 to start my day of tinkering." I explained. Fury just looked at me not knowing what to say.

"Well, have you eaten anything yet?" Fury asked.

"Yeah."

It was a lie, but I wasn't about to tell him the truth. I didn't like eating early in the morning.

"Okay, are you ready to head out?" Fury asked.

"Sure. But I have a question first." I said as I grabbed my backpack.

"What's that?" He asked curiously.

"While I'm at school where are you?"

"I'll be out with other agents. Why do you ask?"

"Because I kinda need someone to watch Gigi while I can't." I said hesitantly. I didn't want to intrude on his personal life but I also couldn't leave Gigi home alone.

"I could watch her for you." He suggested.

"Really? You sure? Cause I don't want to intrude."

"It's not a problem. Besides it's my fault you can't watch her yourself so its the least I can do."

"Thanks." I said and we all headed for the car.

A few minutes later...

"Well, we're here." Fury said as he parked the car. "The principal said for you to go to the main office. Oh and one more thing."

Fury handed me a box.

"What's this?"

"It's a phone so I can contact you." He said with a smile. "And any friends you make today."

"Thanks. Bye Gigi." I said and kissed Gigi on her head.

"Bye bye, y/f/i." Gigi said softly. This was the first time we would be separated since she was just a seed. Even when I had gone out to get food or supplies Gigi was always in my backpack or inside my jacket.

I walked through the front doors of the school to see a crowded hallway of kids walking in all different directions. I quickly found the main office.

"Hello?" I asked. I stood by the front desk where I assumed someone was supposed to be and waited for someone to answer. "Hello?!"

"Hi." A lady said when she popped out from behind the desk. "You must be our new student. I'm Ms. Mayden."

"I'm y/n."

"It's a pleasure to have you here at our school. We heard that you're a bit of a science and technology geek."

"Yeah." I said. "If you want to put it in simple terms." I muttered.

"What was that?" Ms. Mayden asked.

"Nothing. Just...sooo excited to be here." I said with a fake smile and clenched jaw.

"Well then, this is your schedule." Ms. Mayden said handing me a paper. "I'll bring you to your first class, but I'm afraid you'll have to find the rest on your own. Okay?"

"Yeah. Totally fine." I said nervously. "This is gonna be a looong day." I whispered.

Homeroom.

"Excuse me, Mr. Reycold. I have a new student for you, y/n. Y/n this is Mr. Reycold your chemistry teacher." Ms. Mayden said when we entered the room.

"Ah yes. The new student. Everyone?" Mr. Reycold said and approached the class. Everyone looked to see the new girl. "Class this is our new student y/n."

Everyone was whispering among each other.

"It's actually really good that you are joining us today because we are starting a new project and we were one person short." Mr. Reycold explained.

"Happy to be of use." I said.

"Good attitude. I like that. Well, I'm gonna partner you up with Peter. Peter can you please raise your hand."

A boy in the middle row of the left side raised his hand. I looked over and saw him and walked over nervously.

"What's going on? Why am I so nervous? Come on pull yourself together for Christ's sake." I thought as I walked over to my new seat. "Oh my god. He's so cute up close. He looks like a human sized teddy bear." I gave myself a look. Why was I freaking out he's just a boy?

Once I fully sat down in my seat, me and Peter awkwardly smiled at each other then turned away to look at the desk quickly.