Hunk Homesick Day

Lance had grown up in a big family. Being an older brother and an uncle he was used to taking care of people so since the paladins were like his family he treated them as such. So when he saw Hunk sitting on the sofa with a sad face he immediately went to get the fluffiest blanket he owned throwing it over his best friend's shoulders before rushing into the kitchen to boil some tea he'd found. Hunk didn't seem to notice even when Lance plopped down next to him placing the tea into the table. They both sat in silence Lance daring not to move a muscle, and they stayed like that. Hunk's face pinched as his memories of home consumed his smiles and good ones but, one thing that he still had was Lance.

His best friend who would listen to him after he had a fight with his sister. Ho would show him and let him touch his collection of seashells that the Cuban boy hid under his bed. Lance who stood up for him even if it meant he'd get beat up. Hunk didn't know when but he felt arms wrap around him as his mother used to, nimble fingers running through his air and rubbing circles on his back lessening the tension in his shoulders. Hunk bawled into the other's shoulder as he described all the memories of his parents and home. Lance hummed and listened until his best friend fell asleep on his lap. Even then Lance didn't budge as he readjusted the blanket over the yellow paladin and wiped the salty tear tracks off his face, humming a soft lullaby he used to sing to his little sisters and brothers.

Hunk slept for hours until he had awoken to the familiar smell of poi. The tangy starchiness, a unique taste that only he and the families of his home country loved. He had missed it even living in the garrison he could only get it in care packages which he only rarely could receive. Other aromas invaded his senses, the smell of the sea which was never too far for him. He pulled off the cool cloth off his eyes and rubbed his eyes. He stealthy followed the oceanic scent, it reminded Hunk of the nights he and his family would stay outside dancing and playing with fire. Splashing in the water under the thousands of stars, which were like pockets of heaven.

He found himself opening the door to reveal Lance gracefully prancing around the kitchen. In his hands were ingredients he'd picked up from the last planet as well as some other things Hunk hadn't seen before. Lance swayed his hips as the apron a bit too wide for him flowed like a dress. The comforting smells came from a pot Lance had on the stove and the other item that was in the oven. Hunk stared in awe at how Lance seemed to fit in the kitchen. He almost looked like... Mama.

"Hunk? You're awake!" Lance now notices his friend's presence. Lance wiped his hands on the apron before he strode to Hunk placing a hand on Hunk's forehead. His thin soft hand was cool to the touch even if he was cooking. "No fever luckily but, no training for you. You can help me finish up, dinner is almost done." Hunk looked at the dishes Lance was making and then back at Lance. Lance as though he could read minds smiled softly and pulled Hunk into a hug rubbing circles on his back with his thumb. "It's not as good as your cooking but you've taught me a lot. If you want to stay and help me it would be a big help, it took me forever to find anything starchy enough to make poi-"

"YOU MADE POI FOR REALISES!" Hunk was suddenly like an excited pup. Lance giggled and nodded. It had taken a lot of time and maybe a quick trip to a local planet but he managed to get the ingredients to make poi. He knew it was a part of a normal meal in Hawaii and since the plant was so rare due to it being only found in certain climates it was tough but he found it on a waterborne planet along with something like fish.

Hunk squeezed Lance tightly practically picking him off the ground. Lance laughed and hugged back. "Alright calm down, and let me cook! You need to rest though, I don't want you to get a fever. I think the others are done with training anyways so just relax and take it easy."

Hunk nodded placing Lance on the ground again. Lance squeezed Hunk's hand one more time before shooing him off.

Later that night, the team had fish, poi and a haupia made of something like coconut and topped off with a tangy pineapple flavor. Hunk dug into the simple dish feeling all the tangy starchiness on his tongue he'd missed. It wasn't exactly poi but, it was so similar that he could still feel the bursting aftertaste. It reminded him of all the happy people in his small village and the flying fish jumping off to the skies. The others enjoyed the fish and dessert eating only a small portion of poi, the exotic taste confusing their taste buds. Lance had figured that would happen and had made his best version of bread which he had copied from Hunk the best he could.

Lance smiled to himself seeing the joy on Hunk's face before laughing at Kieth's face, clearly not used to eating coconut or much less anything tropical. 

PLEASE NOTE THAT I ASSUMED HUNK IS HAWAIIAN! ALSO THESE ARE PICTURES OF POI AND HAUPIA THEY ARE HAWAIIAN DISHES WHICH I ALSO DO NOT OWN!!!