chapter three

I was standing in front of the mirror in the bathroom, looking at the result of styling myself for forty minutes. I was pretty content, my hair looked exactly like I imagined it to look, and my makeup was okay, I guess, in consideration of my non-existent makeup-skills. I was afraid of leaving the bathroom, though. Even though we went on quite a couple dates, this one felt special. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. There's no need to be afraid or nervous, everything is fine, I tried to convince myself. I opened the door and went to Lewis' room.

"Lewis?", I asked through his door.

"Give me a minute", I heard him yelling from the other side. So, I use the time to get my bag with my phone from my room. I praised myself for taking a bag with me that fitted to the dress.

"April?" I heard him walking over to the guestroom.

"Ah, there you ar..." he begun, but he didn't finish.

"April, you...you are so pretty", he stuttered out, coming nearer.

"Thank you", I responded shyly, looking at my feet. "You are too"

He really was. He was wearing black jeans with a blue sweater with a white collar. I've never seen him so 'formal' before, but he looked really cute.

He gave me a kiss on my left cheek, before taking my hand and guiding me downstairs. After getting in our shoes, he yelled "Mum, we're going now, we'll be back in some hours!", already half outside, then he opened the car's door for me and held my bag while I was getting in and putting on my seatbelt. He got in on the drivers' side, adjusting his seat a bit, then asked me: "Do you want to put on some music? You can connect your phone to the car, the drive will be a bit longer than usual."

"Yeah, sure" I answered and started trying to connect my phone. I just pressed shuffle on my 'drive' playlist and turned the volume down so we could talk, and the music was only playing in the background.

"It's been so long since our last date", Lewis thought out loud, "Too long"

I was happy he noticed it too. "Yes, you're right. I missed our dates." I sighed.

"Me too", Lewis admitted.

The next minutes, he was concentrated on the street, so I just looked out the window, enjoying spending time with him and silently humming 'Hearts Don't Break Around Here' which was just playing.

"How's songwriting going?", I asked a bit later.

"Good, really good. I nearly have got my second album together, I think"

"Really? I can't wait to listen to it!"

He smiled. "That will take some time. I haven't been to the studio yet, just recorded it by myself and made some changes and all that. But you'll be the first person to listen to the whole thing, for sure. Maybe you could visit me in studio someday? Like only if it fits in with school."

"That would be great! But I don't think I will make it this year. I didn't know graduation was this stressful."

"Still, let me know if you have some free time, okay?"

"Sure thing", I answered, "Where are we actually going?"

"You'll see" was all he said, focusing on the street again. Sometime later, he turned right at a crossroads. "We're nearly there"

He parked the car in front of a restaurant and helped me out of the car. He took my hand and led me inside. There wasn't a single guest, just waiters walking around busily. I looked at my crush questioning, but he just smiled. "We're not there yet"