Slowly

(Poems by k.y. robinson from the chaos of longing)

Death was never something you trifle with. It wasn't comical, poetic or romantic like the great artists of time attempted to convey it. However, it was also not as daunting as most people believed it to be. It was part of the cycle of life, as normal as the sun, the grass, and the oceans. It was to be respected in its place in human lives and not laughed at or mocked in any capacity.

Which is why Aurora felt terrible as she watched the man next to her stare at the screen with a bewildered expression; his brows furrowed deeply, mouth formed in a sad but enticing pout. But it was his eyes that blazed with the fire of annoyance that had Aurora pulling her lip through her teeth to contain her mirth.

"That's it?" Erik questioned, turning to look at her with the same exasperated face. "This nigga just killed himself?"

Aurora tucked her hand under her chin and rested her elbow on her knee. Two fingers came up to push into her lips to stop the bubble of laughter she could feel in her chest from exploding passed them. The final ending theme song of Death Note played ominously around them. It's melody just seemed to anger the handsome man further.

Erik's face darkened further before he pinched the bridge of his nose with his thumb and pointer finger. 

"So, let me get this shit fucking straight, " he started before pointing a sharp hand at the screen, fingers as straight as knives. "This nigga did all this shit, set up this whole plan, got my nigga L killed all so he could off himself at the end?"

She shrugged a shoulder at the agitated man, her smile breaking free. 

"It sho looks that way to me."

"Man fuck this," Erik huffed, getting off the couch. "What studio made this shit? I'm not supporting this garbage."

Aurora broke out in peels of laughter. 

"You sound like an old white lady who wants to speak with the manager," she giggled. "You gonna write a strongly worded letter, Stevens?"

He rolled his eyes at her, "You think this shit real funny, huh? This payback for One Punch Man? Keep it up, Princess. I won't help you with the dishes."

She stopped laughing immediately, her eyes going wide. He actually looked like he meant it. Her kitchen was a mess, as per usual whenever he stopped by, and she was not looking forward to cleaning it, let alone by herself. 

"Wow, okay cranky pants." That got him to smile.

"I see ya ass not laughing now," he stated with a triumphant smirk on his face. "Man, turn that shit off, it's irking me." 

He stomped off in the direction of the messy kitchen, picking up and cleaning off plates and cutlery. She grinned at him before turning off her PS4 and gathering the remaining dishes off the coffee table. It dawned on her then. How many times had he come over to her place with food and his company since he'd moved in, yet she was never bored? She looked forward to these nights more and more the further they got into their friendship.

Ari looked up to find Erik looking into the pots on the stove with hungry eyes and smirked. She had finally cooked him a meal, coconut curry chicken and roti. She had perfected it over the last few weeks and wanted to show off for him a little. She walked over to the stove, noting the way he backed up from the pot with a lick of his lips. 

"There are still two servings in here. I'll pack you some for lunch tomorrow."

"Cool," Erik said and Aurora could've sworn he was being a little timid; his smile holding this the tiniest bit of shyness. She pressed her lips together to stifle another giggle.