part twenty eight

hannah's pov

"jj the reason i moved here was because i got arrested back home," i blurted, "i can't go out there."

i literally felt like i was going to vomit as the pit in my stomach began to feel like a bowling ball. my head felt like it was spinning, making me not only want to throw up but also pass out.

i searched jj's face for any kind of reaction to what i had just told him but he was just staring into my eyes with some sort of blankness that just absolutely destroyed me inside.

"i- you-" he began to stutter. suddenly the sound of boots hitting the flooring outside of the office were getting louder.

"jj," i cried out in a whisper, pleading for him to do something. he stared at me for a moment more before shaking out of whatever kind of trance he seemed to be in. his eyes quickly darted to every corner of the room before his eyes focused in one something in the corner of the room.

the door jiggled as jj wordlessly pulled my arm towards the vent he had found, pushing the cabinet that was covering half of the opening ever so slightly. he pried off the covering before crouching in and dragging me in after him.

i could hear the man outside of the door flip through keys as the jingling sound of the metal filled the air.

jj had pulled the cabinet over again in front of the wall and was trying to put the covering back onto the vent we were in, which was a lot harder to do from the inside.

tears pricked my eyes as i watched him struggle, knowing this was all my fault and we wouldn't be in this situation right now if i hadn't fucked up so bad.

suddenly the opening clicked into place just as the door handle was being twisted and then opened. jj looked at me before adjusting ever so slightly in the uncomfortable cramped position we were stuck in. i watched him put his head in between his knees as we listened to the sheriff roaming around the room.

"what the hell," the man in the room muttered under his breath as he paced around.

tears continued to gloss over my eyes as i listened to his boots hit the concrete of the floor. the vent was large but dark, a very minimal amount of light peaking through. i was squished up against the blonde's side and i could barely make out his shape.

the officer mumbled some more incoherent words as well as a few cusses before i heard him walk back out, the door clicking shut behind him.

"jj i-" i began but his hand immediately went over my mouth before i could say anything else. i could faintly see his figure as he shook his head side to side, indicating that it wasn't safe for us to make any noise yet.

he removed his hand before returning back to his fetal position and i just stared at the black wall ahead of me, trying to think of anything else other than my confession and how bad i have fucked things up.

time moved excruciatingly slow as i was left with only the sound of jj's shallow breath and the constant nagging of my thoughts.

i don't know how long it was before jj took his head from between his knees and rested it back against the side of the vent. and it was a while after that before he finally made his first movements to take off the covering.

he slowly pried it off again, making sure to not make any noise. once he slid it over he use his arm to push over the cabinet once more. he put a foot outside of the vent, pausing for a moment and then pushed himself up.

he turned towards me as i wiggled my way out as well and i stood by his side as he put everything back into place. we carefully crept over to the window, he pulled it open before turning to me and lifting me through the small space.