Chapter 17 - Don't Be Afraid Of A Guy In Shades

“Um...okay,” Payson says, pushing the letter back towards Director Banks. “That’s all good and terrifying, but what does it have to do with us?”

“That’s what I’d like to find out,” Banks says. “After all, kid, it was your tent that was targeted. Maybe you arranged it that way to avoid suspicion?”

“Say what?” I ask, unable to stay quiet any longer.

“Ex-cuse me?” Nico asks. We talk at the same time, so our shocked exclamations overlap each other.

“Are you accusing me of workin’ with...whoever the hell these people are?” Payson demands.

“We’ve gotta have all our bases covered,” says Banks. “It’s entirely possible that you’re in on it yourself, demigod.” Based on his tone of voice, I half-expect him to add the word “scum” at the end of that sentence, but to my surprise, he doesn’t.

“Philip, that’s enough,” says Jessica, holding out her hands between him and Payson. “Can’t you see he didn’t do it?”

“I’m only trying to be fair here,” Banks insists.

Jessica crosses her arms. “I don’t think so. I can’t imagine why you would have such a prejudice against this young man, but whatever it is, you need to put it aside.” She crosses behind us and opens the door. “Now, I hate to circumvent your authority, but having seen enough cell phone videos from witnesses, I can conclude for myself that these three, especially Payson” - here, Payson looks up at Jessica, and she nods briefly to him - “are innocent. I will vouch for them, and if you have a problem with that, take it up with the boss.”

“Th-There’s, um, no need for that,” Philip says, his voice rising to complete the weaselly look about him. “Look, they can go now. But if it turns out I’m right, it’s gonna be your head that rolls too, Jessica.”

“I don’t think so,” Jessica says. “Come on, boys.”

We can’t get out of the office fast enough. We actually come close to running into each other at one point. I can easily imagine a movie being made of this scene, and when the DVD comes out, half the gag reel would consist of the actors playing us repeatedly flubbing takes while filming this. Like, you have to be clumsy on purpose, but what happens when you’re accidentally too clumsy and everyone falls over each other in a tangle of limbs?

“I’m sorry you had to put up with that,” Jessica says. “Especially you, Mr. Ramirez.”

“Oh, that’s all right,” Payson says, waving his hand. “I’m used to it. Bein’ a demigod son of Loki ain’t exactly a cakewalk, people.”

“Honestly, I’m surprised at him,” Jessica says. “I don’t know Philip all that well, but I’ve never heard of him having a problem with demigods before.”

“Does that happen a lot?” I ask, seized by curiosity. “People hatin’ on demigods?”

“Only the kids of unpopular gods,” Payson says. “Loki bein’ the prime example, of course.”

Jessica hands her ID to Charon at the gate to Hades. “Mr. Ramirez, if you’re ever interested in signing up for the Agency again, just contact me, and I’ll be able to help you. After we get all this Church Under Thanatos business sorted out, of course.”

Payson shakes his head. “Thanks for the offer, but I’m fine where I’m at. You know what they say - cooking’s not just an art, it’s a calling.” He sticks his hands in his pockets, then starts walking towards the marketplace. He stops short, however, as he remembers that his beloved tent is destroyed. “Force of habit,” he says. “I should just head home.”