7| ???

??? P.O.V

I was cold.

It gnawed at my insides, this unrelenting and acute sensation of glacial numbness. It pierced through me like a frigid shard of ice and froze me to my very core.

I felt it deep in my bones, I was lacking in something, or maybe was it someone?

Something has gone, terribly, horribly wrong. Something was missing, someone was missing, and he was alone.

It can't be gone, it's not possible. Was something wrong? Was someone hurt? That can't be it, I promised to protect them with my last breath but they're gone and my chest is empty and my heart was being caged by my own ribs.

No matter how much I searched with my eyes, stretched out my arms, reached out my hands and strained my senses, I could not for the life of me find the way to my goal.

I had to find a way to reattach the bond left severed and hollow in my chest.

But it was cold. Much too cold.

I reached up slowly and wiped the tears that dripped on my cheeks, smearing the dirt and grime onto my pale skin. Tilting my head back, I stared up at the night sky.

I remained where I had been thrown, blankly gazing upon the stars that scattered itself above me.

I wanted to feel hatred. I wanted to burn them all for their greed.

The fire that licked at my hands begged to be released, a sweet and poisonous voice whispering into my ears to just let it out.

Their mocking caress of words still stayed within me as it swirled around my consciousness, bitter murmurs that permeated the quiet of my mind and kept me from falling into the peaceful embrace of death.

But I was exhausted, and could not bring myself to waste what little energy I had left on the likes of them.

Without a care for the dried blood that caked my face like a parody of a painting, I let out a bitter smile.

"My fate was sealed the moment I agreed to that god forsaken deal."

⁂⁂⁂

HIMARI TAKEHAYA P.O.V

What lay before me was a mass of pure darkness, its shape indiscernible. I suddenly choked, no air to breath, no air able to enter my lungs.

"You never should have agreed to it, Mari-chan..." It whispered against my ear, voice falling somewhere between meek and mocking.

Someone - a hand, but there were too many fingers as it pressed against my side, sharp talons sinking into my skin and it burntburntburnt -

I screamed.

I flinched as I woke myself up. I was lying on my stomach, head resting on my pillow, my arm buried beneath me as my blanket curled around my legs.

My shoulders were tense as I stayed where I was, my heart thundering away in my chest. My pajama shirt was clinging to me even when the night air was chilly, which then caused goose-bumps to erupt all over my body.

I shuddered to myself, trying to control my breathing into something not bordering into hyperventilation. I adjusted my position and nestled my head back in my arms, attempting to count down from a hundred to quiet my mind as best as I could.

It had been a long time since I had a nightmare like that. This dream -or was it a vision?- has not appeared to me ever since I was reborn into this world. It scared me at first, but I was never one to freak myself out over a few night terrors.

But then, it started growing in frequency. Something was telling me that this was not a vision to take lightly. This was a clue to take note of in the future, something I should be wary of.

I have not told my parents or Tadashi about what was ailing me throughout the night, at best they would talk me through it, and at worst they would simply call me some childish names and carry on their merry way.

"This is such a mess." I muttered, hand running roughly through my hair.

I turned my attention away from the ceiling and closed my eyes, resolving to deal with this headache to a later date. Right now, I had to start sleeping in preparation for the busy day tomorrow.

The classes we had earlier that day was only groundwork on what was going to happen for our first year, nothing of much interest occurred between schedules.

That was why I was looking forward to tomorrow, since that was when practical classes and interesting lectures would finally begin.

I took in the sight of my private room, tired but not ready to sleep just yet. Sadly, my dorm was far from where Tadashi stayed, so that meant the only time we will be able to see each other was during the classes we take together or break times.

We were separated by status, and the higher you are in the ladder, the better your accommodations will become.

I was on the middle, and Tadashi was part of the lower group in the lot. There were chances to improve your standing in the future, so all I needed was to help him with grades and what not for him to become my roommate or my dorm mate.

I still have not decided whether I should ace my classes or remain low key. But, maybe I should work on my connections to assist Tadashi in every course possible. I guess it would be of my best interest to work up a reputation to get one of the big guys to notice me.

I leaned against my bed's headboard, tilting my gaze over the big and open window. It offered a splendid view of the lush and green grounds, but as it was dark it only made it appear more sinister.

Probably only through my perspective, but after a nightmare everything looked like it was out to get you.

I buried myself deeper into my blankets and stopped peering from outside my huge bed. It was spacious, but I felt rather lonely.

To better understand what was happening to me, I had to take note of what was going on around Mitsuhiro Tadashi. And that meant sticking to him like a piece of chewed gum under someone's poor shoe.

Getting a clearer picture by myself was never easy, solving the mystery on Tadashi's death never seemed so hard. Doing all this by myself was such a hassle, the least Goddess Navarre could have done was give me a little helping hand or something.

With another exasperated sigh, I went back to forcing myself to sleep.

⁂⁂⁂

a/n:

i present to u a short yet sweet lil chapter

hmmmm ,, is that plot i smell??

must've shocked y'all to have a sudden change of mood. heck, i shocked myself a plenty too 

where is this even going, who knows?? the author sure doesn't!!